my vintage brethren, i need you

Thread: my vintage brethren, i need you

my vintage brethren, i need you

i am lost in the horological woods and am in need of light. i am searching for a watch, and hope to solicit suggestions plus pictorial examples. what i seek is complex and goes as such:

1. probably a 40s model.
    2. center sweep second hand.
    3. i prefer in-house manufacture movements. i must respect the movement.
    4. decent size- this is tough- no less than 32mm.
    5. not so rare that parts will be nigh impossible.
    6. luminous painted dial. i adore the bullseyes or the chapter rings. no applied markers on this one.
    7. handwind

i have looked long and hard at the great 30mm movements from omega, but have decided that there is too much attention paid there. fakes abound, and the good examples are commanding a surprising amount of money. while i'm not cheap, i have been spoiled by the excellent bargains of vintage eterna and hamilton. i have searching both those brands to find models close, but not quite what i'm after. i know eterna has a few that i'd love, but i just haven't seen any lately.

so there you go. i'm hoping your good opinions will yield something i haven't thought of yet. thanks!

edit: here's an example of a watch i own, and love. it measures out at 30mm sans crown. i wish it was a little bigger:

Last edited by sherwoodschwartz; May 12th, 2010 at 20:22.

Re: my vintage brethren, i need you

How about a 1944 Tissot Militar. 34 mm.

Or a Roamer - 32mm.

Sorry - neither is luminous.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Banned

Maybe an Elgin A-11 hack watch? It may be a little small though, but it has everything else on your list. Longines also made some very cool military watches that were in 34 - 37 mm cases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think that this Certina currently on ebay fits the bill http://cgi.ebay.com/Certina-WWII-/11...item19bc0d9d46 I have no intrerest in it but love the band.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Zenith Cal. 133 (or 133.8 - same with different beat rate). Chronometer grade in-house movement, bumper wind, directly driven central seconds hand, quite thin for what you are getting, total output just over 100 000 pieces. The 133 is the rarer at 25 000 but it will be forties (1947-1951), the 133.8 was made starting 1951. The calibre size is 30mm (13''') so that you shouldn't end up with a watch below ca. 35mm. The only problem would be getting the right dial - most specimens were in elegant gent's watches.....

Hartmut Richter

I want to suggest looking out for a 40s Gruen, based on the 420SS or the bumper 460SS cal. Nice, in house movements, and lately there have been a few with full lum arabic dials in nice Guildite cases. If you are patient, you can get a very nice minute track. Also, they seem to go for peanuts (expect the pan ams). Mine is 32mm, I have seen some advertised as 33, I would not be surprised if some are as small as 30mm though, so care is needed there.

Like this, but with full arabic. You can get them...

http://www.watchcat.com/NewListings/grn3603aw.htm

Hi -

I actually have one of those Gruens with the bumper movement, the one shown in the link doesn't have the right hands. The proper hands for that model are blued steel "modern" hands (it's a design style name) with baton-like lume, not actual baton hands...

The bumper movements are funky and nice, you can tell when you're wearing them. They are fairly reasonable, but servicing can be difficult, as you need a watchmaker who is good on these vintage movements...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Sherwood, what about a Universal Geneve? The Enversteel line is nice looking & seems to meet your requirements. Here's a restored version
    http://www.farfo.com/menswatches/Pag...ary_watch.html
    and then there's mine (not quite so pretty)... lol

Thread Information