My West End Watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My West End Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My West End Watch

Hi all. My searches have come up empty It is a West End Sowan. I think it reads Sowan, there is a large gold sunburst that obscures it a bit. The 6 o'clock position has the Arabic day of week above the Hindi numeral date. The back has a little arrow toward the edge and the center has West End Watch Co. Everbright circling a W. It reads Swiss Made under that. The serial is bellow that:
    D 3575
    I bought it at auction from somebody in England about 7 or 8 years ago, they didn't have much to say about it. The case is silver, and the face is dark blue with gold accents. I love this piece, but I wish I knew more about it. Thanks.

Re: My West End Watch

I should mention that my camera recently died, so pictures would take a little foot work.

Quote Originally Posted by airpowers View Post
    Hi all. My searches have come up empty It is a West End Sowan. I think it reads Sowan, there is a large gold sunburst that obscures it a bit. The 6 o'clock position has the Arabic day of week above the Hindi numeral date. The back has a little arrow toward the edge and the center has West End Watch Co. Everbright circling a W. It reads Swiss Made under that. The serial is bellow that:
    D 3575
    I bought it at auction from somebody in England about 7 or 8 years ago, they didn't have much to say about it. The case is silver, and the face is dark blue with gold accents. I love this piece, but I wish I knew more about it. Thanks.
    Its a Sowar - often misread as Sowan or even Fowan because of the script style.

This thread contains detail about the company:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...light=west+end

The main market was India. There are quite few about with a gold sunburst - mostly on green dials. I'm not sure whether this was applied as an 'after market' enhancement in India - perhaps someone else will know more.
    Anglo Irish likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The sunburst looks to be carved into the blue face, rather hard to tell though. At least now I know what it actually says on the face, the sunburst cuts right through it at the tips. I was also noticing that it reads in a very boring font "AUTOMATIC" right on the sunburst between the center and day of week.

it also seems to stop fairly quickly. I don't wear it often, could this be the cause, or is there something not right with it? I have never opened the case, I have experience with computers and firearms which have much larger parts; I know nothing of time pieces, but I love this watch, can i open it up without this springing all over?

If you have the right tool, taking the back off a watch is quite safe (usually!). But it sounds like the watch needs a service (aka COA) - possibly some other problem - which a watchmaker can advise you on.

See: http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/OPENCASE.html

thanks alot. i twisted off the back, looks like its 25 jewels. It is beautiful in there. The half circle plate that flips around reads 25 jewels swiss made with a W. Is this half circle what charges it? I'm sorry for the basic questions, but this seems like a difficult field to get into.

thanks alot. i twisted off the back, looks like its 25 jewels. It is beautiful in there. The half circle plate that flips around reads 25 jewels swiss made with a W. Is this half circle what charges it? I'm sorry for the basic questions, but this seems like a difficult field to get into.
    The half-circle is called the rotor - and yes, it is a weight that flops about and winds the watch.

The W is West End's logo.

West End made watches under the Sowar model name for decades. Yours sounds like a fairly modern one - 1970's maybe.

Asking questions is what its all about. No worries - but I'm a relative newbie myself, so anything advanced will need someone else's input.

Is there any sort of serial number chart for these? I know lots were sold in India, which makes the Hindi date make sense, but the arabic day of week? There are lots of Muslims in India, but its not like spanish catholics in the US or something. I guess I'm over thinking it. I read they made lots of military watches, this isn't one of them though, I think its far too delicate looking. Maybe something for Middle Eastern oil folks? I guess its odd to me because it says west end all over it, but I have never seen another even similar to it...

Is there any sort of serial number chart for these? I know lots were sold in India, which makes the Hindi date make sense, but the arabic day of week? There are lots of Muslims in India, but its not like spanish catholics in the US or something. I guess I'm over thinking it. I read they made lots of military watches, this isn't one of them though, I think its far too delicate looking. Maybe something for Middle Eastern oil folks? I guess its odd to me because it says west end all over it, but I have never seen another even similar to it...
    I don't know of any serial number chart for West End.

If you refer to the potted history given in the previous thread:

'From 1925 to 1935, again due to the British Army, the name spread through China and the Middle East.'

and'in 1977 1000 watches per day sold in Iran! '

Here's one similar to yours:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COLLECTABLE-VI...3A1|240%3A1318

And another:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Near-N...3A1|240%3A1318
    Last edited by Marrick; March 25th, 2009 at 22:23.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information