MYSTERIOUS "BAULLE" GOLD POCKET WATCH
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MYSTERIOUS "BAULLE" GOLD POCKET WATCH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused MYSTERIOUS "BAULLE" GOLD POCKET WATCH

I found this interesting pocket watch, protruding from a dirty envelope, while scouring a junk shop in West Virginia.
    Could not find it listed in my watches guide, but online search did turn up a few auction results for "Bautte" pocket watches.
    Close, but no cigar? Am hesitant to attempt opening it myself to view the movement.
    Perhaps someone can help me determine whether this intriguing item is worth the cost of restoration...
    Thanx for your attention!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: MYSTERIOUS "BAULLE" GOLD POCKET WATCH

"Am hesitant to open it..." Then don't be. No movement pics, no watch ID, same rules apply.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Confused Re: MYSTERIOUS "BAULLE" GOLD POCKET WATCH

Thanx for inspiring me to take knife-prier in hand; was much easier than I envisioned.
    Here are shots of the movement which, to my totally untrained eye, appears unremarkable.
    No fancy engraving, etc. as I'd hoped. (What do you want for 20 bucks...)
    Does this provide any clues to its origin?
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is a fairly standard, though higher grade, Lepine V style calibre from around the third quarter of the 19th century or a little later. I am not sure where you can see "Baulle" since I can see "Bautte". Bautte (originally Moulinie & Bautte) were later bought up by Girard Perregaux who founded their lengthy history, going back to the 1790s, on Bautte (they themselves are rather more recent).

Hartmut Richter
    priamo likes this.

The movement appears to be on the upper end of the "budget" sort of the Lepine V. It's nowhere near as crude as the most basic ones could get, but then again, it's pretty far from the best of Lepine V (chronometers with the pivoted detent escapement - that sort of thing).

Frankly, I'd be far more concerned about the condition of this movement, than I would care about how collectible it is.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Not really concerned about collectibility, but I do have some appealing pocket watches (bought so my wife can make me wear a - gaah! - vest).
    Thought it'd be fun to resurrect this timepiece for similar purpose, if the movement is salvageable - and refurbishing's not toooo expensive.
    (Am reminded of a beat-up 60s vintage Breitling chrono I bought for 50 bucks, brought back to stunning appearance for $250.)
    So in a way I AM curious about collectible value because, since the timepiece & I enjoy no emotional connection, I must glimpse a balance sheet.
    Incidentally, I have examined the name every which way, and much as I wanted it to be "BAUTTE", it still looks like "BAULLE"!
    Which in its own way is kinda cool, since I love nothing so much as a mystery...

Banned

It is Bautte. One light striking of a "t" is still visible. Enjoy the watch.
    Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  28.3 KB

Still uncertain about ersatz "T" (looks to me like a minor scratch) because why would the company miss that among such fine engraving?
    Nevertheless, I really appreciate your assessments on vintage & relative quality. I nudged a gear wheel and everything moves freely.
    Crystal is intact; major restorative task is likely to be reattaching/replacing hinge to front cover, then a thorough cleaning & lubrication.
    I'll show it to a watch repair person. Downside is that my wife may be so pleased she'll buy me yet another (gahh!) vest to go with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Wovoka View Post
    Still uncertain about ersatz "T" (looks to me like a minor scratch) because why would the company miss that among such fine engraving?
    Hmmm ... you're still uncertain. Consider this.

Bautte = famous Geneva-based maker of pocket watches from the era of this watch
    Baulle = no known watches with this name
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Let's make it more "suspicious". New player in the game, Boutte
    " Schweizer Uhrenfirma gegründet 1895

Qualite Boutte, (Invicta SA/Seeland Inc./ (Les Fils de) Raphael Picard/ Eno Watch Co. in La Chaux de Fonds, Le Locle und Biel, Schweiz "
    Name:  ref185-07.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  78.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information