Mysterious Mido bumper movement

Thread: Mysterious Mido bumper movement

Mysterious Mido bumper movement

I have a Mido bumper movement whose the mainspring bridge hole has become enlarged. I've always thought of it as being a Mido 0916 after some researches into the Ranfft database. But now, in the process of looking for parts, I'm having to dig into it a bit more. The main plate is inscribed AS 612, which is an entirely different movement, an earlier, smaller, manual wind.

Help!!!! What is this movement, does anyone recognise it, can it be definitively identified? The pictures on Ranfft differ from mine in a few ways: first of all, the movement he shows is marked Mido 917 - they may have had many common parts, but he says that it was built on AS 1191/92 (not AS 612). My movement is flat, whereas the 917 shown appears domed. His bumper springs have piston inserts, mine do not.

So in the opinion of those wiser than myself is this actually a Mido 1016 (also built on AS 1191/92), and I simply got it wrong from the beginning?

Thoughts, anyone?

Name:  Mido_0916-1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  126.6 KBName:  Mido_0916-2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  124.1 KB
    Last edited by Habitant; November 25th, 2013 at 17:49.

Re: Mysterious Mido bumper movement

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    ...The main plate is inscribed AS 612, which is an entirely different movement, an earlier, smaller, manual wind.
    This is correct, but the first generation of AS bumpers (after the Harwood) used the AS 612 manual wind movement as base, and are accordingly signed. I never saw the official designation of such movements, except in old data sheets.

Your movement is an AS 1049A:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements : AS 1049A

When comparing, keep in mind that I used as replacement photos of the predecessor AS 1049, which has a separate escape-wheel cock.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Re: Mysterious Mido bumper movement

Roland, I really can't thank you enough!

Regards,
    Michael

Thread Information