Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    On inside cover of case is only place I could find it. Looked inside case with 3x loupe and couldn't find any marking. I did include a picture which shows the number on inside movement dust cover matches one on inside of outer rear dustc cover. Not sure if that makes a difference. But is there a way to find out?
    Matching numbers on the dust cover are good. And honestly, it was not unusual for pocket watches to be put into custom outer cases, even at the time of initial purchase. The movement will be the key.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

A Patek movement will typically have decorated and engraved bridges, so the absence of any marking on the movement is disconcerting.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I can't identify the movement (I guess it's stop-watch of some type), but I have never seen a PP with an unmarked movement and/or dial. In fact, the only thing that is marked PP appears to be the dust cover, is that correct? The front of the case seems clearly focused on the US market, if not made in the US.
    In the 19th century, PP movements were often unmarked - markings were on the dust cover only. Here's a Rannft archive entry for such an unsigned PP:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Patek-Philippe 16'''H5

Concerning the OP's movement, the layout is definitely Patek-ish (TBH, it was also used by H.R. Ekegren, but these were signed). Appears to be a fairly standard movement equipped with a single-register column wheel chronograph module. Can't see any additional complications.

The watch appears to be considerably older than the personalized engraving done in - apparently - 1924, by some 30-40 years. The number on the back suggests a date of manufacture circa 1877/1878.
    badbackdan and esdy_11192 like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is something I hadn't considered, that it could be a much older movement, from the era that Patek movements were plain and not always signed. And that the engraving came much later. Very interesting suggestion.

Daso...it will not take too much waiting here on Watchuseek for you to discover who made this watch: someone will write in with the answer. Michael.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

This is certainly a high grade simple chronograph.

Note the wolf's teeth winding wheels and the superb execution on the steel work. I always say that a high grade watch speaks for itself, and that's certainly true of this piece.

I'd have no reason to question this being a Patek. At the time this watch would have been made, Patek didn't have the cachet or god-like status that many collectors of modern watches ascribe to them. They were simply one of a handful of high grade Swiss makers many of which were every bit as good if not better.

Anyone capable of making a movement of this quality-especially in the latter 19th century-would claim it as their own rather than putting another maker's name on it. I'd have no reason to doubt this being a Patek.

With that said, I would like to see a photo both of the back of the dial and of the pillar plate.
    badbackdan likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    By the way, is the watch a repeater? Does it chime every 15 minutes?
    Repeaters only chime when initiated to do so-typically by a slide on the case band. This movement is certainly not one-it lacks hammers, gongs, and any of the associated mechanisms.
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    A Patek movement will typically have decorated and engraved bridges, so the absence of any marking on the movement is disconcerting.
    I'm guessing you haven't looked at many 19th century Pateks.

Banned

Wow, this is incredible information, I wish I could offer more on my side. The name and date inscription on the inside was i believe the birth date of the gentleman to whom the inscription belonged and husband of my friend. When he received it, I am not sure. The watch itself has been sitting in my friends closet for the past 40 years unmoved in a box. It's a really cool piece with the American Eagle. I'm going to look at MKWS's archive link. I really appreciate all the information, adds to the mystery of this piece for me. I guess the movement is key. I'll wait for some more thoughts from the board. I guess I could always send it to Patek for archiving but not sure if the cost merits the ultimate sale for my friend. I have no Idea what they charge and what this might be worth (I do understand that pocket watches have taken a back seat to vintage watches and don't command high prices). The other oddity is the Dial, or is that a similar situation to the movement? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    I guess I could always send it to Patek for archiving but not sure if the cost merits the ultimate sale for my friend.
    Others may disagree, but in my opinion, the money would be much better spent getting the watch running. Even if it's not running perfectly, a running watch is going to sell for much more than a non-running watch. When a watch is not running, many buyers will avoid it completely since they have no idea what they might be getting into. When a watch is running, it greatly reduces the buyer's upside risk. Or at least that is a common perception.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information