Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question - Page 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Ben, Thank you for your thoughts on this. I would love to show you the back of dial and pillar plate, but I don't know how, or likely have the necessary skill to be able to remove the movement from the case. Let me know if it is something I could do?


    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    This is certainly a high grade simple chronograph.

    Note the wolf's teeth winding wheels and the superb execution on the steel work. I always say that a high grade watch speaks for itself, and that's certainly true of this piece.

    I'd have no reason to question this being a Patek. At the time this watch would have been made, Patek didn't have the cachet or god-like status that many collectors of modern watches ascribe to them. They were simply one of a handful of high grade Swiss makers many of which were every bit as good if not better.

    Anyone capable of making a movement of this quality-especially in the latter 19th century-would claim it as their own rather than putting another maker's name on it. I'd have no reason to doubt this being a Patek.

    With that said, I would like to see a photo both of the back of the dial and of the pillar plate.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    That makes sense to me. I have an excellent watchmaker I use for vintage watches, but I don't know if this should go to a specialist in this type of pocket watch?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Others may disagree, but in my opinion, the money would be much better spent getting the watch running. Even if it's not running perfectly, a running watch is going to sell for much more than a non-running watch. When a watch is not running, many buyers will avoid it completely since they have no idea what they might be getting into. When a watch is running, it greatly reduces the buyer's upside risk. Or at least that is a common perception.

  3. #23
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    That makes sense to me. I have an excellent watchmaker I use for vintage watches, but I don't know if this should go to a specialist in this type of pocket watch?
    If you have a good relationship with an excellent watchmaker, I would definitely let him look at it.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Member LandauV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    194

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    I doubt that it is a Patek, too many differences from the original movement. However, anchor fork with a mustache, column wheel and form of the bridges indicate that it is a Patek.
    Without photos under the dial it is difficult to say for sure. Here is the original chronograph of Patek from the same period.
    Name:  ?????.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  141.2 KB
    Last edited by LandauV; January 1st, 2018 at 03:49.
    Michael Maddan likes this.
    Never resist an adequate temptation

  6. #25
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,576

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by LandauV View Post
    I doubt that it is a Patek, too many differences from the original movement. However, anchor fork with a mustache, column wheel and form of the bridges indicate that it is a Patek.
    Without photos under the dial it is difficult to say for sure. Here is the original chronograph of Patek from the same period.
    Name:  ?????.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  141.2 KB
    Indeed, a look at the dial side will be needed.

    There are certain differences in the chronograph module, mostly the shape and finishing of the levers, but the locations of key components - the chronograph module gear train, the column wheel - appear to match.
    That said, the two movements' chronograph modules have far too little differences between them to suggest, that each of them was made by a different manufacturer.

    The base calibre certainly appears to be the same - with the only difference being the hairspring stud carrier shape, but hairspring stud carrier design is known to have been changed in movements from the same manufacturer, so this can easily be explained by what often happens in manufacturing processes, i.e. using a base calibre from an older batch of components, or a period of transition from one design to another.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  7. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Indeed, a look at the dial side will be needed.

    There are certain differences in the chronograph module, mostly the shape and finishing of the levers, but the locations of key components - the chronograph module gear train, the column wheel - appear to match.
    That said, the two movements' chronograph modules have far too little differences between them to suggest, that each of them was made by a different manufacturer.

    The base calibre certainly appears to be the same - with the only difference being the hairspring stud carrier shape, but hairspring stud carrier design is known to have been changed in movements from the same manufacturer, so this can easily be explained by what often happens in manufacturing processes, i.e. using a base calibre from an older batch of components, or a period of transition from one design to another.
    This is all amazing information and unfortunately starting to go way beyond my level of understanding on these types of watches. Being that I am unable to access the sections that seem important to view. Any suggestions about what my next step should be would be greatly appreciated although the suggestion of having my watchmaker take a look to see what it needs to work seemed sound. Again, the goal here is to sell this for my friend so I want to advise her in the best way possible even if it means it's not worth pursuing unless on a sentimental basis. Thanks again, the knowledge here on this category is astounding. Thank you all. If I can get photos of the areas requested I will. Happy New Year.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  8. #27
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    In terms of selling, I think that you will just have to be honest about what you know and provide as much empirical information as you possibly can. The case is marked Patek and looks legit, and the movement is high-quality, resembles a 19th century Patek movement, and is unmarked (as were many other 19th century Patek movements). Show lots of photos.

    See if you can get the watch running, or at least provide information about the movement suggesting that it is feasible to get it repaired. Give information about the gold content of the outer case if possible, etc.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  9. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    In terms of selling, I think that you will just have to be honest about what you know and provide as much empirical information as you possibly can. The case is marked Patek and looks legit, and the movement is high-quality, resembles a 19th century Patek movement, and is unmarked (as were many other 19th century Patek movements). Show lots of photos.

    See if you can get the watch running, or at least provide information about the movement suggesting that it is feasible to get it repaired. Give information about the gold content of the outer case if possible, etc.
    Thanks. I'll take it to my watchmaker and see what he says about getting it working. Appreciate all this info.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  10. #29
    Member LandauV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    194

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Everything seems kosher, it is a real Patek, and not cheap...
    Good luck in the sale.
    Never resist an adequate temptation

  11. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by LandauV View Post
    Everything seems kosher, it is a real Patek, and not cheap...
    Good luck in the sale.
    Thanks. I won't ask for pricing but does the American Eagle theme make it any more desirable or rare or like any other patek (with some issues )

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Advice on buying a vintage "bargain" Patek Phillipe pocket watch
      By Abraham in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: March 17th, 2016, 06:12
    2. Patek Phillipe pocket watch conversion
      By Oyster Perpetual in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 67
      Last Post: November 24th, 2015, 15:32
    3. Patek Phillipe pocket watch 111107 from 1901
      By plastique999 in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: November 26th, 2014, 01:48
    4. Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch
      By PalmBeachWatchLover in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: May 20th, 2008, 08:29
    5. Iskra Pocket watch question
      By soviet in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: October 9th, 2007, 09:31

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •