Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question - Page 4
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    Thanks. I won't ask for pricing but does the American Eagle theme make it any more desirable or rare or like any other patek (with some issues )

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    In general, the outer case of a pocket watch has little to do with value and I think that is the situation here. These watches were often re-cased and I don't think there is any way to show that there is a connection between the outer case and Patek.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    In general, the outer case of a pocket watch has little to do with value and I think that is the situation here. These watches were often re-cased and I don't think there is any way to show that there is a connection between the outer case and Patek.
    Thanks. That answers a lot as I am used to collecting vintage watches (60's-70's) and as you likely know, case plays major part. I appreciate the help. I think I'm going to call Heritage auctions around corner from me and take it to one of their watch curators to see what they say.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Aside from the fact that there's probably ~25-30dwt of 18K in it.

This doesn't strike me as a recase. The movement fit looks excellent, and the case appears era-appropriate for the watch.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    Aside from the fact that there's probably ~25-30dwt of 18K in it.
    When I first typed my response, I mentioned the value of the gold, but then I decided I didn't want to go there.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Banned

When I first typed my response, I mentioned the value of the gold, but then I decided I didn't want to go there.

Don't worry, that was my first thought

I see a button on the side of the watch, which is presumably to stop and start the stopwatch feature, but I agree - I don't think there's a repeater-mechanism on this watch.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    I see a button on the side of the watch, which is presumably to stop and start the stopwatch feature
    It's a chronograph. Stop watches stop completely when the timer is not active. By all appearances, the sweep hand on this watch has a start/stop/reset independent of the timekeeping.

In any case, I don't think there's any question as to whether or not it's a repeater. There are no gongs, hammers, or any of the other parts one would see in a repeater. Also, repeaters of this age almost universally had a slide to activate them, not a button.
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    It's a chronograph. Stop watches stop completely when the timer is not active. By all appearances, the sweep hand on this watch has a start/stop/reset independent of the timekeeping.

In any case, I don't think there's any question as to whether or not it's a repeater. There are no gongs, hammers, or any of the other parts one would see in a repeater. Also, repeaters of this age almost universally had a slide to activate them, not a button.
    Ben,. Now that you mention that, there is a slider right below the button.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I can see that too but it's not really of the sort of shape and (more importantly) size that is usually associated with a repeater slider. The problem is that you need to slide back a repeater slider for quite a distance before the mechanism activates and this means that there must be a fair sized groove. In order to cover that up, you need a fair sized slider.

Personally, I think that your slider is more likely associated with something like a case opening lock or similar contraption. If there really is a repeating mechanism, it would be located 100% dial side and usually they were not. If there is one, it would mean a modular contraption, not an integrated one.

Hartmut Richter

I'll agree with Hartmut-that doesn't look like a repeater slide.

These aren't the best, but here are two videos of me operating a repeater. One is a Waltham 5 minute and the other a Dent minute repeater. I wish these were mine-they belong to friends and I had the chance to look at/play with them.

https://youtu.be/dvcqKTE5C_4

https://youtu.be/2Fh65W-dUpc

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information