Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Hello All, As much as I love and study vintage watches, I'm completely in the dark on pocket watches. My neighbor asked me to help figure the value and sell this pocket watch, but I am not sure that both movement and case are Patek. It looks possible to me that the movement might have been replaced at some point as there are no markings on the movement or dial. I could send it for archiving as the case does seem legitimate but waste of money if the movement was swapped. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's a beautiful watch and the case is great. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images


















  2. #2
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    I can't identify the movement (I guess it's stop-watch of some type), but I have never seen a PP with an unmarked movement and/or dial. In fact, the only thing that is marked PP appears to be the dust cover, is that correct? The front of the case seems clearly focused on the US market, if not made in the US.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I can't identify the movement (I guess it's stop-watch of some type), but I have never seen a PP with an unmarked movement and/or dial. In fact, the only thing that is marked PP appears to be the dust cover, is that correct? The front of the case seems clearly focused on the US market, if not made in the US.
    My friend (familiar with Patek but watches) looked at the case and mentioned that there were markings and it was a patek phillipe case. I have to try to photo them but not sure where that would be. So I'm confident the case is real. Movement he couldn't tell either. No markings anywhere.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    My friend (familiar with Patek but watches) looked at the case and mentioned that there were markings and it was a patek phillipe case. I have to try to photo them but not sure where that would be. So I'm confident the case is real. Movement he couldn't tell either. No markings anywhere.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Well, there is a PP mark on the inside of the dust cover (near the gold hallmark), as I said. Maybe that's what your friend was referring to. Do you see any markings on the case itself? It seems unlikely that PP would make an "E PLURIBUS UNUM" case.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Well, there is a PP mark on the inside of the dust cover (near the gold hallmark), as I said. Maybe that's what your friend was referring to. Do you see any markings on the case itself? It seems unlikely that PP would make an "E PLURIBUS UNUM" case.
    I'm going to take a look. I believe he said there was one in the case. I'll take photo if there is. He did mention that it was very unusual. Standby to see if I can find another marking.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    I'm going to take a look. I believe he said there was one in the case. I'll take photo if there is. He did mention that it was very unusual. Standby to see if I can find another marking.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Sure, post photos of anything you can find, it could be helpful. In the end, the movement will be the most important consideration.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  8. #7
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    By the way, is the watch a repeater? Does it chime every 15 minutes?
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Well, there is a PP mark on the inside of the dust cover (near the gold hallmark), as I said. Maybe that's what your friend was referring to. Do you see any markings on the case itself? It seems unlikely that PP would make an "E PLURIBUS UNUM" case.
    On inside cover of case is only place I could find it. Looked inside case with 3x loupe and couldn't find any marking. I did include a picture which shows the number on inside movement dust cover matches one on inside of outer rear dustc cover. Not sure if that makes a difference. But is there a way to find out?

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    By the way, is the watch a repeater? Does it chime every 15 minutes?
    Seems would tight. Not working and spring fully wound.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Mystery Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch question

    Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    Seems would tight. Not working and spring fully wound.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I don't see any obvious gongs, but the movement is complicated, so I was just wondering.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Advice on buying a vintage "bargain" Patek Phillipe pocket watch
      By Abraham in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: March 17th, 2016, 06:12
    2. Patek Phillipe pocket watch conversion
      By Oyster Perpetual in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 67
      Last Post: November 24th, 2015, 15:32
    3. Patek Phillipe pocket watch 111107 from 1901
      By plastique999 in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: November 26th, 2014, 01:48
    4. Patek Phillipe Pocket Watch
      By PalmBeachWatchLover in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: May 20th, 2008, 08:29
    5. Iskra Pocket watch question
      By soviet in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: October 9th, 2007, 09:31

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •