Mystery quartz controlled balance movement
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Mystery quartz controlled balance movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery quartz controlled balance movement

I found this Merit quartz watch and it's in wonderfull condition and with a crystal polish it will look like new. It cost me €2 so it was really expensive.

Name:  100023.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  113.8 KB
    Big heavy 70's design so no mystery here but no Swiss or German made on the dial. Merit is of no real help and comes back as eithr Swiss, German Canadian or from USA.

Name:  100022.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  156.4 KB
    All stainless steel so it was an expensive watch but no more information here.

Name:  100021.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  225.2 KB
    Now this is new to me and I have seen a lot of quartz movements with or without a balance wheels. Roka Watch Co comes back as owned by Werner Conrad based in Germany so the watch might be German.

It looks to have a Motorola chip and they usually stamped the year so it should mean that the watch is from 1974. But who made this movement?
    Last edited by Shum; February 18th, 2016 at 20:42.
    busmatt, CC Texas, anabuki and 1 others like this.

Re: Mystery quartz controlled balance movement

I see now that it looks to be based on the PUW 2002 so it's German.

If I am not totally mistaken, this is not a quartz controlled movement. It is like the electric/electronic watches from Timex etc., where the button cell is just replacing the main spring as a power source, but the rest of the watch is mechanical. This was the step before the tuning fork watches, followed by quartz controlled watches. It says 28800 (beats per hour) which is identical with the 8x60x60 (28800) beats per hour of the Timex Dynabeat version. But why does it say quartz on the dial?
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 18th, 2016 at 22:27.
    Shum and busmatt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    If I am not totally mistaken, this is not a quartz controlled movement. It is like the electric watches from Timex etc., where the button cell is just replacing the main spring as a power source, but the rest of the watch is mechanical. This was the step before the tuning fork watches, followed by quartz controlled watches. It says 28800 (beats per hour) which is identical with the 8x60x60 (28800) beats per hour of the Timex Dynabeat version. But why does it say quartz on the dial?
    PUW made the 2509 with a electronically controlled balance wheel but this is different as it looks to have a crystal package and a quartz regulator screw and the 28800 could just be that they reused the base 2002 that is a electronic movement.
    Last edited by Shum; February 19th, 2016 at 01:20.
    Border-Reiver, busmatt and Wibbs like this.

'electronically controlled balance motor' - an animal I have not seen yet. As I want to reflect all major technical steps in my collection from verge-fusee to radio controlled quartz watches, I think I have to study that a little closer. I've thought I had everything covered with electric - tuning fork - quartz, following the purely mechanical watches.

They are often referred to as Transistorized then they change to IC-chips then they added the quartz crystal so a lot happened in a few years.

One can say that there are 4 types of electrically powered balance wheel movements.
    Last edited by Shum; February 18th, 2016 at 23:36.

Nice find! I like most of those big 70's lookin steel cases. It's hard to find them in that good a condition. Neat movement. I learn stuff everyday here.
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by CC Texas View Post
    Nice find! I like most of those big 70's lookin steel cases. It's hard to find them in that good a condition. Neat movement. I learn stuff everyday here.
    Yes it's one nice watch and I was very surprised when I opened it up as I was expecting the standard ESA quartz movement inside. I'm starting to think that this is a PUW 2002 that has been modified into a quartz watch by removing the electronics and adding a circuit board with a IC-chip and quartz crystal.

As the PUW 2002 is rare enough this addition would make it very special. 1974 is rather late for this solution from one of the bigger manufacturers so I think it's an attempt from a smaller manufacturer to stay in the game during the quartz revolution. Motorola sold these components to anybody that could pay so an expensive but easy way to get with the game.

I could be wrong though but it's fun to speculate.

Haha, it is a primitive Spring Drive but with more personality.
    busmatt, Border-Reiver and Wibbs like this.

Yes and it wants to run so no sparking that has oxidized the end of the spring but the circuit board is so thin and flimsy it bends down and touches the balance wheel.

In essence it just like a Timex but with more jewels and much more expensive as one can get a Timex for €1.
    Last edited by Shum; February 19th, 2016 at 02:45.
    busmatt and Border-Reiver like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information