Nappey

Thread: Nappey

Nappey

Today I added a second Nappey to the French collection, I was in the uncomfortable state of being Nappeyless, as its sister is away being serviced and having new glass fitted, and is not due home for a couple of weeks.

It's fitted with the exact same variant of the¨Parrenin HP90 as in my first Nappey and in Marrick's Mithras, which, despite long and tedious searching still seems to be unrecorded. Both mine are marked as "Nappey * * *".

Unlike the majority that arrive, this one was in a very clean condition and just needed some minor scratches to the glass removing. It was mounted on a mint gold toned Fixo-Flex, which, for once, didn't need long and slow cleaning between each link. I quite like Fixo-Flex's so it's staying put for now.

Unlike the majority that arrive, this one was in a very clean condition and just needed some minor scratches to the glass removing. It was mounted on a mint gold toned Fixo-Flex, which, for once, didn't need long and slow cleaning between each link. I quite like Fixo-Flex's so it's staying put for now. The back is a Bagobloc like design, and is marked "Antichoc".

For those that don't already know, Nappey was founded in Besançon in 1946 by Jules Nappey and Ets J Nappey were immediately successful. Obviously innovative in the field of publicity, it was the official timekeeper of the Tour de France between 1958 and 1960 and even sponsored a French TV programme in the early 1960's.

Like so much of the French (and Swiss) watch industry, it didn't survive the quartz age, and Nappey went out of business in the 1970's, even though an attempt was made to raise a phoenix from it's ashes by forming the short lived Societe Nouvelle des Montres Nappey.
    Last edited by john87300; June 6th, 2012 at 19:49.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Re: Nappey

That's a very unusual case you have there. I like your new Nappey.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Antichoc or incabloc?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

And I thought you had had your fill of Nappeys!

Im really not sure if I think its ugly or beautiful..... Which is neither the best compliment or insult I have ever given!

Either way... congrats is in order, as its certainly different!!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Antichoc or incabloc?
    Antichoc it is on the back Mirius, probably just for "shockproof" in case "Incabloc " on the face wasn't a good enough clue
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    And I thought you had had your fill of Nappeys!

Im really not sure if I think its ugly or beautiful..... Which is neither the best compliment or insult I have ever given!

Either way... congrats is in order, as its certainly different!!

Marc
    According to Madame I'm very childish at times and therefore my need for more Nappeys is ever growing

Beautifully ugly is the term you may have been searching for, it's certainly not "pretty" but if nothing else, it's noticeable!
    John

I thought that Antichoc is a trademarked French shockproofing system? I would have expected that combination to indicate something is not original, but you are the French expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I thought that Antichoc is a trademarked French shockproofing system? I would have expected that combination to indicate something is not original, but you are the French expert
    I'm no expert! There's so many things I don't know, but I enjoy finding out, if you've seen much French TV you'll know why I spend a lot of time some evenings doing research

Antichoc is French for "Shockproof", there are different Antichoc shockproofing systems, Antichoc 102, Antichoc 51 etc, but generally just marked Antichoc on the face
    John

Now that would make sense. I'm amused to see that the French Wiki entry on Antichoc fails to even mention that there are any French systems.

Thread Information