Like Tree10Likes

Thread: NAWCC 2014, The New Task Ahead - INGERSOLL WRIST

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NAWCC 2014, The New Task Ahead - INGERSOLL WRIST

Again following on from here
    NAWCC 2014, The New Task Ahead

Object type: wristwatch
    Museum accession number: 76.2.109
    Brief description: Nickel-plated case, manual winding pin-pallet lever wristwatch.
    Round silvered metal Arabic dial with luminous (radium) numerals and hands, sunk subseconds at 6 o’clock, mounted in an oval-shaped case, marked INGERSOLL WRIST, USA MADE.
    Large crown at “3” winds and sets hands. Has original box and guarantee.

Producer name: Ingersoll Watch Company
    Production date: 1931/32
    Made in: New York, New York, USA
    Dimensions: 39.3 millimeters (case)
    Markings:
    Dial: INGERSOLL, WRIST, MADE USA.
    Movement: INGERSOLL WATCH Co., MADE USA.
    APPLIED 22 PATENTS, July 14th 25.
    Case (inside):

Curator’s comments:
    The Ingersoll watchmaking company was founded in 1881 by Robert Hawley and Charles Henry Ingersoll in New York to sell by mail order. The concept of selling merchandise by catalog was pioneered by Aaron Montgomery Ward in 1872.

To meet growing demand, Ingersoll ordered large quantities of watches from the Waterbury Clock Company, and in the following years they sold more than a million watches. Although Ingersoll first produced pocket watches, it later moved into the wristwatch market.

The company continued to trade in America until 1922 when, after financial collapse, it was taken over by the Waterbury Clock Company. Waterbury kept the company running until 1944, but more financial difficulties resulted in its sale to the United States Time Company, makers of Timex.

The quantity of Ingersolls sold had been a staggering 6 million by the turn of the century, 60 million when they sold out in 1922, and 96 million when production ceased in 1944.

The company was made famous by the $1 watch; by 1905 they had produced 3 million pocket watches per year selling for $1. Their slogan became “The Watch That Made the Dollar Famous.”

The Ingersoll name was used in America until 1951 (Ingersoll continued to be used in Britain for many years), when the new name Timex came into existence.
    This watch is a typical example of an early, mass-produced wristwatch. The movement is essentially the same as that in pocket watches but is smaller for wearing on wrist.

It has a pin-pallet lever escapement, invented by G. E. Roskopf (see registration no. 1987, 1012.2), a design that became the standard for cheap mass-produced watches, as well as alarm clocks, throughout the twentieth century.
    Actually the pin pallet escapement was invented by the French watchmaker Louis Perron of Besancon in 1798. Roskopf was granted US patent No. 75,463 10 Mar. 1868, for a changeable escapement for watches (this patent said that the escapement could be adapted for use with a cylinder or lever as well as a pin pallet).
    Roskopf patented his watch in France with French patent No. 80611 of 25 Mar.1868 for a watch with a type of platform escapement. He patented his designs in several countries (Belgium, No. 21988, 3 Aug. 1867) but never in Switzerland, because the idea had been previously patented by L Perron in 1798.

An advertisement in the November 15, 1929, Maclean’s magazine extolls the qualities and virtues of this watch received by “thousands of letters in Ingersoll’s files bearing testimony to the reliability of their timepieces.”

The watch was sold for $4.50 at that time.

Ingersoll coined the phrase: “The watch that made the dollar famous.”

Adam R. Harris
    Guest Wristwatch Curator 2014

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS: Michael C. Harrold – American Watchmaking 1850-1930
    British Museum – Roskopf and pin-pallet design

Pictures property of NAWCC and may not be used without permission
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; September 29th, 2014 at 14:15.
    Emre and James A like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Re: NAWCC 2014, The New Task Ahead - INGERSOLL WRIST

Nice one, thanks for sharing Adam.

I would place Ingersoll within the horological timeline also for their marketing strategy.They were promoting their watches with radium containing rocks,buy one watch get free radium :) The advertisment was here somewhere in our forum,will add if I find it.Very interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Nice one, thanks for sharing Adam.

I would place Ingersoll within the horological timeline also for their marketing strategy.They were promoting their watches with radium containing rocks,buy one watch get free radium :) The advertisment was here somewhere in our forum,will add if I find it.Very interesting....
    Thanks Emre
    The advert was/is mine. I posted it.
    I can add it easily if people want
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sure add it here, why not,it would be great for the records.Thanks.

Here you go 1917
    Owned by myself

adam
    Emre and James A like this.

and
    Adam

Here is another, I own that is pretty important, but earlier than this watch.

James A likes this.

and
    Adam

Thanks for posting this very interesting advertisement Adam.It certainly adds also to the history of marketing.How horrible it is now,nearly a century ahead, reading that statement:

' We back our statement that radiolite does contain radium with our entire resources and our 25 years in business'

But let's not make anachronism...

Can imagine some people placing that piece of rock somewhere in their living room and inviting their friends to show its magical glow:)

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Thanks for posting this very interesting advertisement Adam.It certainly adds also to the history of marketing.How horrible it is now,nearly a century ahead, reading that statement:

' We back our statement that radiolite does contain radium with our entire resources and our 25 years in business'

But let's not make anachronism...

Can imagine some people placing that piece of rock somewhere in their living room and inviting their friends to show its magical glow:)
    Yes.
    I found that advert in a bin, the second one cost me about $20?

I collected a whole range of Luma (company that market radioactive dials) adverts.
    I think they are an important part of Horlogy
    A

and
    Adam

I'll point out that it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that Roskopf "invented" the pin pallet (and it's notable that he never filed a patent for it either). The concept predated Roskopf by a good half century, although I don't know that anyone before him made a serious effort to implement it in a production watch.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'll point out that it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that Roskopf "invented" the pin pallet (and it's notable that he never filed a patent for it either). The concept predated Roskopf by a good half century, although I don't know that anyone before him made a serious effort to implement it in a production watch.
    Thanks to that.
    I think I will then add that if you agree

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information