NAWCC Display Update Blog #7
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: NAWCC Display Update Blog #7

NAWCC Display Update Blog #7

DISPLAY UPDATE – Blog # 7
    One thing I have learned in my 9 weeks here is that putting on an exhibition or permanent display (as mine is) takes far more than “throwing a bunch of watches in a display case”

The selection of the timepieces is fairly straight a forward process, it is what follows that takes the time.
    The first few weeks were laying out the timepieces in their cases, not so difficult, but getting a layout that is not to “busy” is harder. We want to show all the relevant and exciting pieces, so thinning it down, takes time and patience.
    Next two weeks were writing each item descriptors that is a tougher job than I imagined especially as my knowledge is “vintage” timepieces from the beginning of the wristwatch to say the 70s.

I had to put in a lot of research on electrical pieces like Hamilton “Pacer”, Bulova “Accutron” and Hamilton “Pulsar”. Even studying “quartz” taught me much, the differences (and reasons for the differences) between “electrical” and “quartz”, then exactly what is termed quartz digital and what is quartz analog all took interesting research.
    I wanted all the descriptors that are on display, to not just explain technical features, but the history of these pieces, their cost in (say) 1970 versus current day value terms. Not “just” where the watch sat in Horology, but more importantly “why”?

They say “every picture tells a story” therefore in many cases I enhanced the timepiece with original adverts or schematics of how that technology was applied. It all adds to a better experience of the items on display.
    These “descriptors” originally written by me, then must go up to our Media Department for proof reading, not just a “comma” here or a “full stop” there, but full checking that the English flows, correct verbs are used etc. I can assure you the Lady (Freda) had a lot of work to do. Although this added to time and frustration to me in waiting, the results prove it is an essential step in the process.

Then head of Media has one more look over them and again spots ‘things’ like “what is RHS”? “What is LHS” – some may know, others not, so I changed labels to (left) and (right). Then on sundial ageing, I had put “9 B.C.” instead of “9 century B.C.” Big error, as we can either say 900 years B.C. or 9th century B.C. My error now corrected.
    Now all proof read and checked I spent weeks 7 and 8 printing, cutting and mounting each description on boards and placing in the cabinets. Lots of fine tuning here so it looks as pleasing as possible. Finally I went over every piece once again, and added different styles of mounts or stands, to give a more “three dimensional effect’ to the exhibit.
    Last but not least, I am working with the graphics designer both in discussing ideas and scanning in pictures. The “graphics” will make or break the exhibit.
    Here are the latest pictures – enjoy - Adam
    First a new addition to automatics kindly donated Emre Kiris – Bulgaria. A very important piece, not previously owned by the museum.

The Automatic Display Case

Raising of certain pieces – a more visual experience.

Hermetics

2000 to Present – size matters

The overall 2000 to present display

1900 to 1920 – Ladies First and Trench Watches

Finally Character and Novelty

Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; November 4th, 2013 at 22:42.
    Emre, DragonDan and Nordwatch like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Re: NAWCC Display Update Blog #7

Adam, first thank you for giving me the opportunity for the donation. If it wouldn't be you there, that Glycine won't make it there.Trust they understand and appreciate your input.

Apart from the concerns you've mentioned about proof reading and terms usage IMO the grading of the terms and vocabulary to, I guess public level, must be another challenge. Creating a thread here in WUS is an an easy call since we are a closed community with more homogenous knowledge vs public. I am imagining an old sweet grandfather taking his grandchild to the museum to introduce him to the world of time measuring inventions and is expected to understand, at least the path.

The displays look really great, the development you presented from the very beginning have been shaped pretty nice. Wish you luck and joy through the last month and congrats again for this dream assignment.

excellent, Adam; congrats and thank you for taking us along !

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Adam, first thank you for giving me the opportunity for the donation. If it wouldn't be you there, that Glycine won't make it there.Trust they understand and appreciate your input.

Apart from the concerns you've mentioned about proof reading and terms usage IMO the grading of the terms and vocabulary to, I guess public level, must be another challenge. Creating a thread here in WUS is an an easy call since we are a closed community with more homogenous knowledge vs public. I am imagining an old sweet grandfather taking his grandchild to the museum to introduce him to the world of time measuring inventions and is expected to understand, at least the path.

The displays look really great, the development you presented from the very beginning have been shaped pretty nice. Wish you luck and joy through the last month and congrats again for this dream assignment.
    The donation was all yours, I only put it together. I am glad and proud that Bulgaria is now represented in the Museum. A great and proud country it deserves that.

There were a number of challenges here ranging from thinking 'outside the box' like the character and novelty display and the "diplomacy" needed at times (not my area of strength) LOL

My goal, and the graphics is a huge challenge is to have a display that 'stops' people in their tracks and has a lasting impression.

To all - thank you
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

I just got back from another visit to Adam and the NAWCC HQ. The display is coming along quite nicely! It is hard to capture the full history of wristwatches in just a few display cases but Adam seems to be accomplishing it

I even got to donate a watch to the display (a quartz of course) ... how cool is that! And I found the watch I happened to be wearing that day was also in the display (a Valjoux 7750 day/date with a stylish gold plate case... different dial in the NAWCC display but same watch otherwise). I feel connected

We owe Mr. Harris a great deal of gratitude for his efforts here. Now that it is snowing in Pennsylvania I am sure he really misses Spain.

And many thanks for Adam's help on another matter which will hopefully be announced in a few days... (see, a teaser ... if you go to the NAWCC.ORG homepage you will see something at the bottom which can be taken as a hint...)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks
    The pleasure was ours having you here.

and
    Adam

Hey that's great, saw the banner in NAWCC site, great partnership, congrats and thanks for making this happen.

Edit: Just saw we have now a NAWCC sub-forum f508 in WUS :)
    Last edited by Emre; November 13th, 2013 at 21:26. Reason: f508

Thread Information