NAWCC National
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben_hutcherson

Thread: NAWCC National

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

NAWCC National

Is anyone on here planning on going?
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: NAWCC National

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    Is anyone on here planning on going?
    I will probably commute to it for a visit. Unlikely I will see more than one day.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I'm still working on my schedule. I will be there on Friday for sure, but would really like to get there for set-up and the afternoon opening on Thursday. Saturday is a big question mark for me-a lot will depend on how Friday goes.
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    I'm still working on my schedule. I will be there on Friday for sure, but would really like to get there for set-up and the afternoon opening on Thursday. Saturday is a big question mark for me-a lot will depend on how Friday goes.
    Few of the scheduled lectures interest me. I don't collect clocks. Do you know where you will be located yet?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Few of the scheduled lectures interest me. I don't collect clocks. Do you know where you will be located yet?
    I 'think' Philip Poniz may be talking. If so I truly recommend going to that.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    I 'think' Philip Poniz may be talking. If so I truly recommend going to that.
    Did he manage to buy that Breguet? if so, he'll have something marvellous to talk about.

I don't know yet. Too soon to ask , but I will surely.
    He has plenty to talk about, believe me.
    Best
    Adam

The Philip Poniz lecture is at 1:00 on Friday, and is on "Isochronism in Pendulum Clocks"

Unfortunately, the chapter hosting this national is, in a sense, almost anti clock. It is a shame that in a state so rich in watchmaking history, with Dueber, Hampden, Ball, Gruen, and others, the larger NAWCC chapters in the state don't recognize this history. The Ward Francillon Symposium in this area a few years back was the same way-the series title was "Ohio Horology" and there was not a single watch talk in the schedule.

Do you know where you will be located yet?
    I've had my table reserved for a little over a year, but unfortunately don't remember my table number. As you walk into the front of the hall, I will be on the right hand side about 3-4 rows back and facing the doors.

That is true about clocks versus watches.
    Indeed wristwatches even versus pocket watches is even less awareness.
    In the Museum the % focus on wristwatches is tiny compared to clocks or pocket watched.
    Thankfully the Museum
    Director is working to improve that balance.
    And this fall, i will be tasked with
    Installing a permanent wristwatch display and presentation
    Thanks to Gallet and The Museum.
    Adam

I just checked my registration information, and my table is F-210. Anyone attending, please stop by and say Hi.
    Eeeb likes this.

Thread Information