Neat Aurora p.w.

Thread: Neat Aurora p.w.

Neat Aurora p.w.

Of all the p.w. I have owned this is only Aurora. Know nothing about it. Think it represents the best of old American classic design for dial, movement and selected case. It justs looks right to me even though a simple 18 size 15j cheap on the collector market and basically like millions of others. An American classic from a small, short duration, but intelligent producer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; January 3rd, 2012 at 21:17.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Neat Aurora p.w.

Thanks for posting, Art. I don't have an Aurora, but would like to have one sooner rather than later.

That particular regulator has always fascinated me, and when I finally get one, I want to find it with that regulator. There's another variant of microregulator also seen on Auroras that I think works very similarly but looks quite different.

I'm not sure if you know this, but Aurora is considered an immediate predecessor to Hamilton. The founders of Hamilton bought the Aurora machinery along with the Lancaster Watch Company building and set up shop. Aurora can be linked to Illinois also, since, as I understand it, the original Aurora men came from the Illinois Watch Company.
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; January 3rd, 2012 at 22:54.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I'm curious; what's that pivot just above the regulator arm on the left-ish side of the plate?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'm curious; what's that pivot just above the regulator arm on the left-ish side of the plate?
    The 5th wheel.

This allowed the factory to make both OF and HC movements without drastically rearranging the gear train. Illinois did the same thing with their 18 size model 3s.
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Did not know Hamilton and Illinois benefitted from Aurora. My only old 18s hunter Illinois seems to be a 5th wheel model 3?

Last edited by artb; January 4th, 2012 at 02:41.

Art,

I don't see the 5th pinion on your Illinois, and it comes up as a model 2 by the serial number.

Auroras and earliyish Illinois will only have the 5th pinion if they're OF.

Discovered 2 other 18s Illinois. No digital photo. One is k.w. and stem wind 371495 o.f. that does have the extra no jewel pivot near regulator arm. I now know what to look for. Very similar to Aurora.

Had fogotten a very nice hunter 213951 stem and key wind. First model?

nice aurora, mine's a little different but still a great watch

Other examples always very welcome in anything I post; whether better or worse than mine. Another 5th wheel Aurora above. Found my Illinois 5th wheel model 3. Illinois always had good reputation like Aurora and similar designs

Thread Information