Need Additional Information on Pocket Watch

Thread: Need Additional Information on Pocket Watch

Need Additional Information on Pocket Watch

Dear all,

I have come across an old pocket watch which belonged to my great-great grandfather (and is still working).
    The inscription says that it is is a Borel watch, manufactured in Neuchatel, and since it belonged to my great-great grandfather I presume it was made in the late 19th/early 20th century. Can anyone help me?

PS. There are groups of dots next to some of the numbers on face of the watch, which I have been told were somehow used to measure time. Can anyone elaborate on those?

Last edited by tiyafeh; May 10th, 2010 at 19:53.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Need Additional Information on Pocket Watch

An interesting watch! It would be useful to see the movement as well. For that, you'd have to open the inner back lid. If you don't feel happy about that or if it is very stiff, forget it - better to forego that than to trash the watch!

The dots on the dial are a little strange. I have once seen a Borel (wrist) watch which lacked the numbers and had raised dots on the dial. It was a blind man's watch, made to have the glass open up if necessary to allow the wearer to "feel" the time. Naturally such watches need to be very robust - they lack the seconds hand and have very sturdy minute and hour hands - so yours was definitely not originally made that way. If someone glued on such dots post hoc, he would need to have taken care when feeling the time.

Hartmut Richter

Re: Need Additional Information on Pocket Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    An interesting watch! It would be useful to see the movement as well. For that, you'd have to open the inner back lid. If you don't feel happy about that or if it is very stiff, forget it - better to forego that than to trash the watch!

The dots on the dial are a little strange. I have once seen a Borel (wrist) watch which lacked the numbers and had raised dots on the dial. It was a blind man's watch, made to have the glass open up if necessary to allow the wearer to "feel" the time. Naturally such watches need to be very robust - they lack the seconds hand and have very sturdy minute and hour hands - so yours was definitely not originally made that way. If someone glued on such dots post hoc, he would need to have taken care when feeling the time.

Hartmut Richter
    Thank you very much for replying.

The blind man's watch possibility never occurred to me but that is certainly an interesting explanation.
    As far as I know the watch was not used by a blind person, but I'll have to ask my grandmother to see if she can tell me anything about that.

Thread Information