Need advice on a new strap for this Bund-style classic

Thread: Need advice on a new strap for this Bund-style classic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need advice on a new strap for this Bund-style classic

So I've posted some pictures of this watch before, in order to get some help identifying it and its movement. There was enough enthusiasm about its heritage and condition that I decided to have it serviced and am now wearing it more regularly. Problem is, I hate the strap I bought for it. I picked up a Hadley-Roma "Breitling-style" leather band, because the contrast stitching really matched the cream on the chronograph subdials. Problem is, the band is quite short. It fits me fine, but there's barely enough leather to grasp to pull it out of the buckle. I don't have abnormally large wrists or anything - in fact, I'd consider them normal to small.

The other problem is that the lugs are an odd size - 19mm. There are plenty of 18mm and 20mm straps that I'd consider, but I don't know if it's better to go small and have some gap around the band, or go big and try to cram it in (that's what she said, let's just get it out of the way).

So ultimately, I'm turning to you folks for some advice. Based on the pictures, what would look good on this? Where can I find it? Does it come in the required 19mm, or should I get a larger/smaller one?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need advice on a new strap for this Bund-style classic

Awesome looking watch! luv those hands
    I don't like to have spring bar showing, or having the strap squeezed into the lugs.
    19mm is a very common lug spacing, and there are plenty of 19mm straps available, you'll just need to do a little digging.

In the vintage world 19mm isn't that uncommon because it matches the old american 3/4 in standard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh, cool - I didn't know about the 3/4" standard. I've been looking around and 19mm isn't impossible to find but I am having trouble finding anything I like, as the size seems to be sort of an anachronism. I'm hoping someone else has had the same issue and knows a good source. Maybe even a custom strap maker? Those tend to be pretty expensive though.

I would just do a search on ebay for 19mm bands. I'll send you a PM with the links to two ebay stores also don't forget to check with the sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Oh, cool - I didn't know about the 3/4" standard. I've been looking around and 19mm isn't impossible to find but I am having trouble finding anything I like, as the size seems to be sort of an anachronism. I'm hoping someone else has had the same issue and knows a good source. Maybe even a custom strap maker? Those tend to be pretty expensive though.
    There is a straps forum on WUS. In their stickies they have several lists of vendors. I have mined them for 19mm bands a number of times. Rust Watch on eBay has sourced a number of mine. They can be found.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I found this one on eBay that looks interesting: http://cgi.ebay.com/19MM-LEATHER-WAT...item4838993bfe

My main concern is that the leather bits appear to be the same length I currently have. 75mm for the pin/buckle end, and 115mm for the opposite. The deployant would certainly help alleviate the issue. Maybe that's all I need, a new clasp?

Do you want to get by or have it fit properly? If you keep searching I bet you can find a long in the same style.

I did find a better solution at one of the eBay stores you mentioned. How does this strike you -

This strap:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220482527935&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Along with this clasp:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220482509886&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think the look is pretty sharp, it has the same contrast stitching that I think will set off the dial nicely. Deployants are nice in general, but will it take away from the vintage feel of the watch?

I think you've found a reasonable solution. Only you can answer the question of vintage feel. Watches are made to be used, if a deployment makes the watch more wearable, go for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information