NEED ADVICE PLS!! Bravingtons Chornograph - looks similar to a Breitling Top Time.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RolexFan33
  • 1 Post By Eeeb

Thread: NEED ADVICE PLS!! Bravingtons Chornograph - looks similar to a Breitling Top Time.

NEED ADVICE PLS!! Bravingtons Chornograph - looks similar to a Breitling Top Time.

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to purchase a great looking (to my eyes at least) chronograph from a vintage watch dealer. I'm pretty new to the whole vintage thing and was looking into acquiring a Breitling Top Time as I love the clean design lines and pushers.

Anyways, while looking for a Top Time, I came across a very interesting watch - a Bravingtons Renown chronograph. It looks almost identical to a Breitling Top Time and has a Valjoux 7733 movement.

The seller is asking for $1200.

From the pics, the watch looks like it's in great shape. It's been serviced so it runs great.

I know Top Time's can run anywhere from $1500-4000 so I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal.

However, being that it's not a well known name brand like Breitling or Heuer, I'm wondering if $1200 is a bit much? Would love your opinions on this.

About Bravingtons: I've done searches and from what I can tell, they used to be a high-end jewelry shop in London that made their own brand of watches. There's very little information about these guys online so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks!

Added a picture!

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 12.28.35 PM.png
Views: 425
Size:  179.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 11.45.25 AM.png
Views: 405
Size:  179.6 KB

Last edited by RolexFan33; July 23rd, 2014 at 18:31.
    busmatt likes this.

Re: NEED ADVICE PLS!! Bravingtons Chornograph - looks similar to a Breitling Top Time.

Quote Originally Posted by RolexFan33 View Post
    Hi all,

I have the opportunity to purchase a great looking (to my eyes at least) chronograph from a vintage watch dealer. I'm pretty new to the whole vintage thing and was looking into acquiring a Breitling Top Time as I love the clean design lines and pushers.

Anyways, while looking for a Top Time, I came across a very interesting watch - a Bravingtons Renown chronograph. It looks almost identical to a Breitling Top Time and has a Valjoux 7733 movement.

The seller is asking for $1200.

From the pics, the watch looks like it's in great shape. It's been serviced so it runs great.

I know Top Time's can run anywhere from $1500-4000 so I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal.

However, being that it's not a well known name brand like Breitling or Heuer, I'm wondering if $1200 is a bit much? Would love your opinions on this.

About Bravingtons: I've done searches and from what I can tell, they used to be a high-end jewelry shop in London that made their own brand of watches. There's very little information about these guys online so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks!

Hi,
    I'm not sure that Bravingtons made their own brand of watches, but what they are well known for
    is re-branding ex-military watches.
    Over the years I've saw very many military watches, ATP'S, WWW's AM/159 GSTP's etc etc from many different makers, re-branded Bravingtons.
    Sometimes the military markings, broad arrow serial numbers etc are left on the watch and the name Bravingtons
    added. Sometimes the military markings have been removed or a new case back has been fitted and rebranded Bravingtons.

This company saw a niche for Army Surplus watches when they were regarded as the 'poor' mans watch.
    They bought them by the tens of thousands, smartened them up and knocked them out re-branded.
    An Army surplus watch in the 60's or 70's was not so well regarded as it is nowadays.

I'm sure the RAF used Breitlings for a while, I'm not saying that's what you have here, but maybe.

Re: NEED ADVICE PLS!! Bravingtons Chornograph - looks similar to a Breitling Top Time.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not sure that Bravingtons made their own brand of watches, but what they are well known for
    is re-branding ex-military watches.
    Over the years I've saw very many military watches, ATP'S, WWW's AM/159 GSTP's etc etc from many different makers, re-branded Bravingtons.
    Sometimes the military markings, broad arrow serial numbers etc are left on the watch and the name Bravingtons
    added. Sometimes the military markings have been removed or a new case back has been fitted and rebranded Bravingtons.

This company saw a niche for Army Surplus watches when they were regarded as the 'poor' mans watch.
    They bought them by the tens of thousands, smartened them up and knocked them out re-branded.
    An Army surplus watch in the 60's or 70's was not so well regarded as it is nowadays.

I'm sure the RAF used Breitlings for a while, I'm not saying that's what you have here, but maybe.
    Thanks for the info! Thing is, I did read that Bravingtons was known to supply the military. But this watch definitely doesn't have a military design...just added some pics and would love to know what everyone thinks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RolexFan33 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Thing is, I did read that Bravingtons was known to supply the military. But this watch definitely doesn't have a military design...just added some pics and would love to know what everyone thinks.
    Doesn't look ex military right enough.
    Nice looking chrono, relatively modern and outside my sphere of knowledge I'm afraid, would seem expensive
    to me.

There is no question you save up and wait for a top time. This could be any off brand watch. I can't imagine someone would bay more than 500usd for that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People often collect brands, not watches. There are a number of watches from the era when most makers used a limited number of chrono makers (and case suppliers) which have various different dials. Coloration and brand name on the dial are often the only difference. Depending on the brand name prices vary.

I have a Lemania 5100 (a great chrono movement) encased by Heuer. It has the same case, caseback (with Heuer model number!), and movement as their watch. But they private labeled it for Torneau and so instead of the Heuer logo, the dial says Torneau as does the movement.

That difference allowed me to get it for half the price. Since I tend to collect technology, I was quite happy.

Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Eeeb; July 25th, 2014 at 07:37.
    Sdasurrey likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

+1, Eeeb!

These ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    People often collect brands, not watches. (...)
    ... unfortunately all too often are dunces, falling for nice pictures and even nicer stories. Case in point: G.Leon Breitling Sprint - very early Chronograph - Sehr seltene Uhr aus 1934 | eBay.

Yes, I know, he's our well-known, infamous 'classic-watch-collector' who always has the rarest of the rarest of the rarest watches and who usually bids on his own watch in the end to drive up prices for the ones he doesn't sell in auctions

In this case he offers the "most rare first Breitling dual-pusher chronograph" that "not even Breitling can sell to you". It's true - 'Sprint' was a Breitling brand, registered 1923, and the dial may just fit the announced time - 1934 (even if that particular dial style was a) fairly generic and b) outdated by 1934.) Also the hands seem to be a trifle long for that dial - I can't imagine Breitling combined them with this particular dial.

Be it as it may, the terminal giveaway is the movement - which is a fairly generic Landeron 39 as is confirmed easily by Lang/Meis:

Image taken from 'Chronograph Wristwatches to stop time', Schiffer-Publishing, Atglen PA, 1993

It's true that Breitling was the first to receive a patent for the dual-pusher operation and additive stopping for chronographs, and it's true, too, that he licensed this patent very early to several Swiss watchmaking firms - Hahn in Landeron being one of them. It is also true that Hahn had a deal with Breitling to supply movements. But I doubt that the '39' was available immediately after Breitling had patented the dual-pusher operation.

Still, this one will leave the bay at a four-digit amount, I predict, because the name 'Breitling' is part of the header. Normally, Landeron 39-driven Chronos in splendid shape go for anywhere between 300 and 500 bucks.

Let me be clear: this watch may even be authentic. But the seller's avoidance of the true movement manufacturer's name says a lot. (And just imagine: if this watch was authentic, indeed, what stories could it tell in the hands of a true Breitling researcher.)

As I said in another thread: they try to rip off you everywhere. That's why I avoid 'great brands'.

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Hi everyone,

I agree that people tend to buy brands. But on the other hand, if you ever need or want to sell the watch again, the brand name may give you an easier time and more money.

Case in point... I bought 2 Marvin watches a couple of years ago. I wanted to get rid of them. Not because they're bad watches. My tastes have changed and they never get any wrist time. I tried selling them here and on Ebay...not even a single bite or query.

While I agree it's not always about the brand...a good brand attached to the watch will help in other ways.

In any case, thanks for all the responses guys. I haven't pulled the trigger on the watch and likely won't. while the movement is real, it's definitely a nice watch but the seller is unwilling to decrease the price and I don't think it's worth that much. :)

Thread Information