Need assistance identifying this 17-18th century watch
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need assistance identifying this 17-18th century watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need assistance identifying this 17-18th century watch

Hello everyone

I have a watch which is around 6-7 generations old passed on from my ancestors.
    I have no clue about the manufacturer and thus would like the experts to identify this watch.
    Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    J
    Attached Images Attached Images

pej

Re: Need assistance identifying this 17-18th century watch

To give you more information we'd need to see a picture of the movement. Could you open the back and post a movement shot?

Are you SURE this is a 17th...or even an 18th century watch??

For one, it looks like a wristwatch. They didn't show up until the late 1800s at least.
    For two, it looks far too small. From what I've seen, 17th and 18th century watches are MASSIVE. If this watch is small enough to put on your wrist, I don't think it's from 1689 or whatever.
    For three, it looks crown-wind and crown-set. That technology didn't exist until Patek-Philippe invented it in the 1840s.

I'll leave it up to the others who are more experienced to give you better information, but from what I can see...this watch probably dates from the late 1800s/early 1900s.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Case design would put it around 1890's till early 20th century say around 1915, I would guess Swiss, looks like a Pin set style probably 0 size. Crown was replaced at some time..Dial and hands look ok.
    With out a movement picture that is I am afraid that. Maybe someone will have more info.
    Janne likes this.

Thank you all for your kind comments.. well i do not know much about the watch myself, whatever I mentioned was what I heard from my parents (even they dont seem to know much about it).

I will upload the pic of the mechanism of thw watch in a couple of days, maybe then you guys would be able to get a clear picture.

What I have been told about my friend here is that, this was probably a pocket watch which was later converted to a wrist watch by adding the hooks. what do u guys say about that? any such possibility?

I will upload the mechanism pic asap

thanks again for ur comments,
    Cheers
    J

Quote Originally Posted by jangeerisran View Post
    Tere is that, this was probably a pocket watch which was later converted to a wrist watch by adding the hooks. what do u guys say about that? any such possibility?
    Quite possible, and done rather frequently during World War I. Can you see if the pendant was removed, or if there are the remains of clips or other such things by which a lady would attach it? How is the front cover removed? Usually a clip is actioned by the winding knob - but if so your pendant (see previous sentence) is missing. Likewise, you seem to be missing the bezel.

I managed to open the back cover which has a serial number with some kind of a symbol which is also printed on the back of the dust cover.

Moreover, there is a serial number on the mechanism, which will hopefully assist in identifying the year and probably the manufacturer.

I will be waiting for your analysis and comments.

thanks
    J
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does that say 18K? If so, you've got a gold case!

"Possibly" Vacheron & Constantin

I'm almost never in a position to suggest that a watch someone thinks is Vacheron & Constantin actually is . In this case, I'm thinking it may really be a private label Vacheron & Constantin from about 1880. While the Maltese Cross on the inner case is often faked, the movement itself is the correct architecture and the movement number corresponds properly to the period. The only definitive way to know is to submit the case and movement numbers to VC for verification. Unfortunately, in that condition and unmarked, its value is not much beyond scrap, but interesting nonetheless.
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

yes it is 18 k gold :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information