Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member LouS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,759

    Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    What is the nature of the gaggle of vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos watches (mostly chronographs) that regularly appears on fleabay? Are they inventions out of whole cloth meant to capitalize on the brand's popularity now, or is there a recognized cannon of models? All I get on the internet is the publicity for the current company. I gather it started as a jeweler that branded watches by other manufacturers, like many others. Did it have it's own product line? Who knows any details?

    Please help me out with facts, opinions and/or unsubstantiated rumors.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,653

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos


  3. #3
    Member Beau8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    23,401

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    The company started out in Cuba I believe. The models sold on Ebay are questionable as the vintages ones fetch top dollar~Cheers!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member TheJohnP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    Just taking into consideration where some of the countries those watches are coming from, I would also be highly suspect.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

  6. #5
    Member LouS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,759

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau8 View Post
    The company started out in Cuba I believe. The models sold on Ebay are questionable as the vintages ones fetch top dollar~Cheers!

    And one makes the distinction how? I guess I'm asking what would be the characteristics of the real thing? As many people have observed, most of these appear to be cooked up out of parts....Is there any generally accepted source, documentation or expert, or just use our watch-collecting sense best we can?

  7. #6
    Member gatorcpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,943

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    Is there any generally accepted source, documentation or expert, or just use our watch-collecting sense best we can?
    It took awhile to find this historical information. It is from a Spanish language watch forum. First, here it is using a Microsoft translator program. The English isn't great, but I think you can follow along and get an idea of the long history of Cuervo y Sobrinos in Cuba. Don't forget to follow the links to more information and pictures:

    http://www.microsofttranslator.com/B...toria-97340%2F

    For those (like myself) that can read along in Spanish, you can find the post here:

    http://www.relojes-especiales.com/fo...istoria-97340/

    The one problem that I noticed with the few "vintage" Cuervo y Sobrinos dual-branded watches is that someone has gotten ahold of a old logotype and has created recent redialed versions of some of the classics. I would be very wary of bright, clean dials with the Cuervo logo. Havana is in the tropics and 50+ year old dials should show their age.

    Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

    P.S. After following a few of the links to other threads on the page, it became clear that Cuervo y Sobrinos was in the habit of totally refinishing dials on many of the watches they sold. Many of these watches have incorrect manufacturer logos, likely because the company didn't have the correct ones. For some brands like Patek Philippe, Rolex and Longines, the dials were dual-branded by the manufacturers in Switzerland. You'll know what I mean if you read the articles.
    Last edited by gatorcpa; June 24th, 2010 at 20:49.

  8. #7
    Member Beau8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    23,401

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    And one makes the distinction how? Is there any generally accepted source, documentation or expert, or just use our watch-collecting sense best we can?
    I'm no expert on the brand, but If you search through the threads, I'm sure someone or somebody has some information of use. Plus, try picking up a copy of Watches magazine and have a look. I've found some information on the brand there also.....

  9. #8
    Member LouS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,759

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    It took awhile to find this historical information. It is from a Spanish language watch forum. First, here it is using a Microsoft translator program. The English isn't great, but I think you can follow along and get an idea of the long history of Cuervo y Sobrinos in Cuba. Don't forget to follow the links to more information and pictures:

    http://www.microsofttranslator.com/B...toria-97340%2F

    For those (like myself) that can read along in Spanish, you can find the post here:

    http://www.relojes-especiales.com/fo...istoria-97340/

    The one problem that I noticed with the few "vintage" Cuervo y Sobrinos dual-branded watches is that someone has gotten ahold of a old logotype and has created recent redialed versions of some of the classics. I would be very wary of bright, clean dials with the Cuervo logo. Havana is in the tropics and 50+ year old dials should show their age.

    Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Gator, that helps a ton actually. Great idea to check the spanish language fora. Thank you very much for doing some very serious digging there - much appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau8 View Post
    I'm no expert on the brand, but If you search through the threads, I'm sure someone or somebody has some information of use. Plus, try picking up a copy of Watches magazine and have a look. I've found some information on the brand there also.....
    I did sift trhough the threads -- very little to be found. An internet search is dominated by the current company's boilerplate promo claptrap. will try the mags....thanks.
    Last edited by LouS; June 25th, 2010 at 03:51.

  10. #9
    Member GUTuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC, USA
    Posts
    9,118

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    I own a Cuban restaurant, so I have been after a vintage Cuervo e Sobrinos vintage piece and recently picked one up. Was looking for some help in identifying the movement for my database as the seller did not have that information. Any help? Thanks in advance!

    Name:  0137 - Cuervo e Sobrinos Movemenbt.JPG
Views: 952
Size:  166.6 KB

  11. #10
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: Need a clue: Vintage Cuervo y Sobrinos

    From this family of Venus movements: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Venus 202
    GUTuna likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)


    Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •