Need confirmation for a Hampden pocket watch (56K warning!)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Silppuri

Thread: Need confirmation for a Hampden pocket watch (56K warning!)

Need confirmation for a Hampden pocket watch (56K warning!)

Sorry to barge into the forum without any useful contributions, as I'm a newbie when it comes to watches. I've had a very nice Molnija pocket watch with a train engraving on its case (which I broke due to my enthusiastic "fixing" behavior, namely a boring day and a screwdriver), but now my interest is in a pocket watch my grandfather gave me.

It's a Hampden watch, and he said that he read from a book called American Watches: Hampden Watches (or something like that) that the piece is from 1873. I stumbled upon a page yesterday that you can input the movement's serial number (I assume), and it gave me this:

Name:  hampden.png
Views: 275
Size:  6.8 KB

So according to that, the watch is made in 1895. I tried to break this down to my grandpa, but he kinda refuses to believe in the "online sources". So, dear knowledgeable persons, can you find any info on this watch from anywhere else than that website I checked? I found a watch with a similar-looking case from eBay, but it doesn't look the same... Nevertheless, here are the photos of my watch. Feel free to click them to get a bigger version:

Front:
    Name:  1_pieni.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  404.6 KB

Back:
    Name:  2_pieni.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  369.0 KB

Name:  3_pieni.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  369.4 KB

Name:  4_pieni.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  239.7 KB

Name:  5_pieni.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  339.9 KB

Name:  6_pieni.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  393.5 KB
    parrotandpitbull likes this.

Re: Need confirmation for a Hampden pocket watch (56K warning!)

Nice looking watch; in 1895, a size 6 watch would most likely have been a ladies watch. This certainly looks typical for that era, and it matches known pictures of the Hampden size 6 movement.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Yes makes sense. I show 1897
    But close enough
    Its the alter history of Hampden Dueber = that is most interesting
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The copy and paste I recognize as being from the Chapter 149 database. This was compiled by Henry Burgell, who is a Hampden collector, and is based heavily on his own observations as well as work done by Bob Arnold and a few others. Bob Arnold "wrote the book" on Hampdens.

Hamdpen didn't become Hampden until 1877, so it would be difficult for the watch to have been made in 1873.

Mid to late 1890s is the date I see in the print sources I doubled checked.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

OK, thank you all for help, I really appreciate it. AbslomRob, you're right, grandpa said these were called "tit watches" back then because it was held by women, presumably in a pocket in the breast area :)

I think this is not a very valuable watch so I'm not going to fulfill grandpa's wish to sell this. This has way bigger emotional value than a few tenners, as he's been holding on to this watch from 1972, and now gave it to me to inspect and sell.

By the way, can you explain what the grade means? I couldn't really find info on it, and grandpa didn't know either.

In this context, "Grade" refers to the level of quality of the "finish" of the watch. The watch "model" defines the basic plate design; all "Model 3" watches started with the same basic plates, but there were different levels of jeweling and finishing. So the grade distinguishes those. From what I can tell, there was only really one "model" for the 6 size Hampdens. Yours is grade 206, which is 11 jewels. There was a 7 jewel verion (grade 200), a 17 jewel version (grade 220) etc. Sometimes the "Grade" was a name (like the 0 size "Molly Stark" grade).

In car terms, it'd be like a 'trim' level, I guess.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

All right, thanks for the info, Rob.

Thread Information