Need Help With Elgin Pocket
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need Help With Elgin Pocket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help With Elgin Pocket

Another WUS member (John MS) suggested I put this post here. Don't know why I did not see this area before I posted earlier.

The watch below was given to me by my great grandfather via my grandfather. I have yet to find the model on the web and was wondering if any of you vets could get close to identifying it. It is a very heavy piece and I don't know if it is because of the internals, the gold content (if any), or both. I have found a few sites that mention Elgin but nothing shows anything close. The numbers on the dial appear to be unique compared to what has came up with a google search.

I have not opened it because 1). I don't have the knowledge yet and 2). Can't find anyone to work on it for a reasonable price. FYI 300 just to open it up, to me, is NOT reasonable. Add to that 150 to diagnose the problem. And of course the price goes up from there for whatever is needed for the actual repair. This leads me to my last inquiry...
    Anyone near the Phoenix area that knows of a experienced, reputable person that would be willing to look at this? I would love to get it working as it has sentimental value. I just don't feel I should spend the same amount as some new watches just for opening it up.

Any help would be great.

Name:  DSCN0896.JPG
Views: 512
Size:  616.7 KB

Sorry about the quality. I just don't have the knowledge or perhaps the equipment to take better pics.

Name:  DSCN0897.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  598.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0899.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  555.3 KB

There is engraving on the back although it is worn. There seems to be a chevron between the 1 and 2 o'clock position if that means anything. The rest appears to be foliage of some type.

Name:  DSCN0898.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  557.2 KB

Thanks,

Wes
    My Current Rotation

Tissot PRS 516, Tissot T-Touch, Tag Formula 1, Citizen 8700, ESQ Aston, Bulova Swarovski

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Need Help With Elgin Pocket

It looks to be a 12 or 16 size watch, and that sort of metal dial will date it to the 1920s. The case is more than likely gold filled.

It appears to be a screw-back case. To remove the back, hold the watch in your left hand with the pendant resting against the web of your thumb-the back should easily unscrew by gripping and turning counter-clockwise with your right hand. No special tools are required.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I will go get it...thanks Hopefully pics of the movement coming up.
    My Current Rotation

Tissot PRS 516, Tissot T-Touch, Tag Formula 1, Citizen 8700, ESQ Aston, Bulova Swarovski

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    It looks to be a 12 or 16 size watch, and that sort of metal dial will date it to the 1920s. The case is more than likely gold filled.

It appears to be a screw-back case. To remove the back, hold the watch in your left hand with the pendant resting against the web of your thumb-the back should easily unscrew by gripping and turning counter-clockwise with your right hand. No special tools are required.
    Ben you appear to be correct as there is no hallmark anywhere on the piece regarding gold content. You were also correct regarding the caseback...Behold....

Name:  DSCN0907.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  698.4 KB

Could you tell me what the gauge is in the upper left (S ...... F) ?

Caseback:

Name:  DSCN0911.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  635.9 KB

A closer pic makes the stamping legible:

"Keystone"
    "Watchcase"
    Insignia with Scale
    "JBOSS"
    20 YEARS
    EX(C/O)?

Name:  DSCN0909.JPG
Views: 587
Size:  633.3 KB

Any place that you would recommend looking up the movement?

Also, if I jiggle the watch wheels will turn back and forth...winding will turn the gears...but it will not run. Anything I could try?

Thanks much,

Wes
    Last edited by augustorm; May 31st, 2012 at 05:16.
    My Current Rotation

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The movement is a 16 size, 7 jewel movement and dates to about 1926. Not a huge amount to say about it. The S-F marking is for slow and fast-the timing of the watch is adjusted by moving the pointer toward the respective letter.

Keystone J.Boss cases are always gold filled(The J.Boss company was one of the originators of the gold filled process). The "20 year" marking refers to the fact that the case was guaranteed to not wear through to base metal for 20 years(cases were available in different guarantee ratings, ranging from about 5 years to "permanent").

The EXC marking is interesting...I need to do some reading on it, which I'll follow up on shortly. I seem to recall from somewhere, however, that this was used to indicate a case which was supplied as a replacement for one which wore-through before its guarantee period.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thanks so much
    My Current Rotation

A couple of thoughts. The Elgin is a nice momento of more than one generation in your family. Take the time to write down everything you know about who wore the watch, when it was worn, etc., and keep them together for the next generation. The adjusting lever is pushed to the slow side which indicates it is overdue for servicing. If you plan on using the watch then it should be serviced. If it will serve as a remembrance on display or stored safely away then such an expenditure is really not needed.

Any idea what a service cost should be?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
    My Current Rotation

I'll say this much, I've never had to pay anything for someone to just LOOK at the watch. So if someone's saying that you have to pay him for that, I'd be searching for another watchmaker...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    A couple of thoughts. The Elgin is a nice momento of more than one generation in your family. Take the time to write down everything you know about who wore the watch, when it was worn, etc., and keep them together for the next generation.
    Let me second and amplify this - among my Grandfather's possessions were a number of watches, including 2 pair-cased verge fusee type watches from the late 18th/early 19th century. One of them contained a series of watch papers from watchmakers in Ireland, followed by several from Pittsburgh, where my family is from. Likely this watch came over with one of my ancestors, but because Pap never made any notes about the owner of the watch, we'll never know.

The adjusting lever is pushed to the slow side which indicates it is overdue for servicing.
    Well, that and the visible dirt in the bushings!

If you plan on using the watch then it should be serviced. If it will serve as a remembrance on display or stored safely away then such an expenditure is really not needed.
    I'd advise having it serviced even if you're going to put it away. Some day, you might get an urge to wear it, and it would be especially cool if it were running. But that's me. I'm a big fan of 'ancestor watches'. They're something our grandfathers or great-grandfathers wore everyday, that they kept with them always. It's a nice connection.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information