Need help finding the right strap for a vintage watch - spring bars are sautered in!
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need help finding the right strap for a vintage watch - spring bars are sautered in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help finding the right strap for a vintage watch - spring bars are sautered in!

So I have a very vintage Longines from the 1930s, but the spring bars (not the right term to use because they don't pop out), but the bars where you attach to the strap to are sautered into the lugs. What type of strap do I need to buy in order to fit it on the watch? Is there a specific name for this type of strap?

Thanks!
    Dan

Re: Need help finding the right strap for a vintage watch - spring bars are sautered in!

They are called "open ended" watch straps. The wrap around the fixed bars and either clip in place or are fixed in place with adhesive. You can also use a one-piece strap that threads through the bars.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: Need help finding the right strap for a vintage watch - spring bars are sautered in!

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just realized I was wearing an open-ended watch strap today. It is massive, and actually closes with screw-rivets, which is not the right look for all watches, but is good for pilot's watches like this one (also a Longines).

Name:  IMG_0078.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  78.2 KB
    busmatt and priamo like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Some might grimace, but you can also likely find a jeweler to cut off the bar and drill holes in the lugs for spring bars. I did this with an old family piece whose original strap was lost long ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    AlfonsoBP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    They are called "open ended" watch straps. The wrap around the fixed bars and either clip in place or are fixed in place with adhesive. You can also use a one-piece strap that threads through the bars.
    I could not have said it better! I was thinking how to help before scrolling down - fortunately I did.
    busmatt likes this.

Banned

Can you post a pic of the watch? if it's very old or militar style, a leather nato could come in handy, best ones are the ones from the guys at www.atelierdelsur.com, they made them in shell cordovan wich is the best leather around. I have a few and are fantastic.

Name:  blacknato52.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  293.0 KB

On my vintage watches I use either regular (canvas) nato straps:

Name:  Ancre-3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  382.4 KB

Or leather nato straps:

Name:  IMG_20181127_142248-01.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  1.01 MB

These straps are one piece and go under the backside of the watch. I buy most of my Natos from ebay or www.cheapestnatostraps.com.

Are the open ended straps durable or rather safe to wear? Lol. I think I’d be scared it would come loose and I’d lose the watch!

To add, I found this thread as I was asking myself this same question recently and wanted to see what others had to say on the topic. I’ve got 3 fixed bar military issued watches and was hoping to mix it up a bit in terms of strap. One option I found that seems cool and in keeping with the vintage vibe is getting a Bonklip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information