Need help with a Gallet
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By raincity

Thread: Need help with a Gallet

Need help with a Gallet

I'm a new poster to WUS but it's been helpful as I dip my toes in the watch world. I just bought my first vintage watch (I do have my grandfather's '50s Record, which you can see in my thumbnail shot), a Gallet two-register chrono. I need some help nailing down precisely which model it might be. From my trolling around WUS and Gallet's site, I think it most closely resembles a MultiChron 45, though there are some differences from the ones Gallet uses as examples. The case appears gold-plated with a steel back. It's no older than 1959, based on an inscription date on the back. I have a shot of the movement provided by the seller but the file's too big to upload and I can't figure out to reduce it. It appears to be an EP4 or EP40. It's keeping good time (when I remember to wind it) but it's a lt's a little hard to set because the crown adjustment is imprecise. Is this something a watchmaker remedy? Also, I notice that when I set it the second hand seen on the left of the face does not stop moving, so it's hard to get an exact sync. Also the numerals and hands have no illumination left. Can I have that fixed without doing a wholesale restoration because the I'd like to leave the dial alone. Any thoughts welcome.

Name:  SteveGallet1.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  566.2 KB

Re: Need help with a Gallet

I've managed to downsize a shot of my Gallet's movement. Here it is:
    Name:  stevegalletmvmt.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  116.3 KB
    DragonDan likes this.

Welcome to the forum! I know nothing about this watch I'm afraid but I'm at home sick with nothing else better to do so...

Seconds hand not stopping whilst setting is called non-hacking - quite normal. I assume the movement is designed that way as opposed to broken so you may not be able to 'fix' it (I may be wrong, but lots of movements don't hack). That said some movements can be modded to hack by simply adding a small part to the keyless works. Perhaps not advisable on a nice vintage though.

I'm sure you can get the hands relumed without having to have the dial restored - yes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi RainCity,
    Welcome to the forum! Yes, you have a MultiChron 45, with the desirable Excelsior Park EP4 (the EP40 has three subdials). Don't see too many gold-plated Gallet's running around, so you did very well for your first vintage. That movement looks pristine, so another win!
    I'd say this watch was no older than the the mid 1950's (which confirms the inscription date). As for repair of the imprecise crown adjustment, that crown looks like a replacement, so probably follows that it may "fit" but not be exactly the right item. If you do not know the service history, I would suggest a full service, known as a COA for Clean/ Oil/ Adjust. This means the entire watch is broken down into it component parts and everything is meticulously cleaned and properly lubricated. I can suggest a fellow that works on my Gallet watches, PM me if you like. Gallet themselves are still a thriving company, and can do the work. Although it would be pretty expensive, it would be a first-class job and carries a guarantee from the manufacturer themselves.

The EP movement was made by the Excelsior Park company, who's almost complete output was used by Gallet. It can be found in Zenith and Girard Perregaux watches of this same age as well. They helped EP financially and in other ways before absorbing the whole company in 1983.

As for the dial, it is in great shape, save for the lume. It is very common for the lume to sort of disintegrate over the decades. I would suggest Kent at Everest Watch Works, as he has done work on my watches before, or Jack at international watch works. Not used him, but heard very good things. Both have websites. Other than the lume, don't touch that dial!

May we see more photos of this watch? I collect Gallet watch photos, and don't have one like this in my archives.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thanks! Geoffbot: Thanks for explaining what non-hacking means. And DragonDan: Thanks for IDing the watch. I was planning to have it serviced after seeing how well it worked. I've got a guy here in Vancouver recommended by a veteran collector friend who's going to look it over and could probably do the work. I'll mention your advice on the replacement crown, though I wonder if it's not the original, given the evident wear. It's tempting to contact Gallet for an overhaul but I'm not sure I could justify the cost. I'll look into restoring the lume on the hands and numerals too. Frankly, it's a great watch as is. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for another one. I'll post a couple more pictures of this one soon. Meanwhile, here's a closeup shot of the face taken by the seller. It looks crustier at that distance but on the wrist it looks fine.Name:  Steve gallet 2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  65.4 KB

Thread Information