Need Help with ID of Family Heirloom

Thread: Need Help with ID of Family Heirloom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Need Help with ID of Family Heirloom

Hi,
    I am new to Watchuseek and this is my first post.

I need help identifying an antique pocketwatch that has been handed down from generation to generation. I have not been able to find anything online to even point me in the right direction as to putting a name and date to this watch.

The face has the word "Storch" and "Frankfurd" enscribed on it. When it is opened, you can see "G. L. Storch 360" enscribed. It is chain driven and I believe uses a fusee key. Hopefully the pictures attached will help.

Anyt information as to the manufacture, range of time, or even region (I am assuming Frankfurt, Germany) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Couevas

Re: Need Help with ID of Family Heirloom

Moved to Vintage and Pocket Watches subforum.

Jeannie

Hi There and welcome!

Thats an impressive looking watch (from a pocket watch novices point of view). I have not seen many (early) PW's with date windows.

I hope someone who knows more than me can shed some light on this for you!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a real nice watch.That was most likely all hand made due to being made in the early days of watch making.That's what's called a Fusse movement.There should be hall marks on the case that could help in dating the watch and what country it was made can you get a photo of the hall marks and a better photo of the name on the movement would also help in the ID.
    Last edited by river rat; May 9th, 2011 at 16:21.

The only marks I could find are on the watch face and inside on the back as shown in the 5th picture.

The face has the word "Storch" above the pivot and "Frankfurd" below. Could Frankfurd be Frankfurt, Germany?

The back of the watch says "G. L. Storch" and "360."

I apologize for the poor quality photos, as all I had on hand was my phone camera.

Here are what hall marks look like.This should be on both silver outer and inner cases.Those type of cases are called pair cases.The type of hands on yours are called blued-steel poker and beetle hands.From a book I have ones that look close to yours were made around the 1700's just a guess on the age of your watch but if the case has hall marks we can date it better.I see a number 19 under the hands this is a crazy question is that a date window this would be the earliest watch with a date that I ever saw.And do your home work on any watch maker you let service this watch parts are no were to be found for these if he messes up.I only found one were I live that knew what he was doing when he worked on mine.Most will not touch a fusse.
    Last edited by river rat; May 9th, 2011 at 22:08.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I believe you mean "fusee", not "fusse"! On top of that, it need not have a fusee (chain and fusee are parts of a complex mechanism for equal transmission of power as the mainspring winds down). You are probably talking about the - now extinct - "verge" escapement which was common at the time the watch was made.

Hartmut Richter

That is a very early Verge watch dating about 1750.

In the book, The history and Technique of the Swiss watch, there is a watch
    very similar to yours which is in the Geneve museum. The movement is similar
    with all the same elements such as wide footed balance cock, Tompian regulator,
    date at 6-oclock on the dial, same style look etc and I would say it is contempory
    with your watch. The watch is signed Johann Hurter, Schaffhausen and is dated 1750.
    Very similar watches, with date mechanisms and same style movements and dials
    were also being made in Geneve mid 18thC and the Geneve museum has examples
    by Les Freres Rey.
    I can find no ref to the watchmaker G.L Storch but a watchmakers output was small and
    watches from this age are rare survivors. In a lot of cases little is known about
    individual makers and many remain obscure but that is a fantastic watch.

River Rat, Hartmut Richter and radger,

Thank you so much fro your insight. Yes, from the little research I have done over the last few days, it uses the fusee cone and chain as described.
    Also, the window with the 19 is a date window.

I will try to get another picture of the hall mark (if there is one). I do not have the watch in my posession, but my uncle should be able to take a look at it.

Does anyone know of a reputable dealer/collector to see in the Seattle/Puget Sound region of Washington, USA? I would like to get this in the hands of someone that can take a good look at it.

Thanks,
    C

Here is a sketch from my uncle. He found this inside one of the cases. It was too small for him to photo, so he drew it. Ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information