Need HELP to ID this Verge Fusee Watch
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need HELP to ID this Verge Fusee Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need HELP to ID this Verge Fusee Watch

Pretty cool pawn shop find today... you will see two names on this: William Christie and Hume. Wondering if there are any experts out there who could tell me a little more about the makers or date of this piece. Runs, btw :):thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need HELP to ID this Verge Fusee Watch

I am a total nubie too but I have surmised the names on the movements are usually the retailer. Of course, that may only be true for the later English watches. Earlier ones like this may not be factory made. Almost anyone else will know more than me so stay tuned!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi - Im not going to be of any help, Ill tell you that from the get go. But completely off the point - Im fascinated by the piece of paper ephemera thats crimped into the case. A piece of advertising from Lawrence Kirk, who worked on or sold the watch?. I hope youll keep that part of the watch's history.There is so little we know of the history of watch of any age, and there you have a beautiful little piece of it. Best regards.
    Last edited by parrotandpitbull; October 7th, 2010 at 06:37. Reason: addition

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

by researching the silver marks, it looks to be dated to 1835.

In Britten's 9th edition a Charles Hume, London is listed for 1830 and that goes with the 1835 hall mark (U) on the case. Also the leopard hallmark for the London Assay Office and the rampant lion for sterling silver is seen in your photo. Almost all English watches from this era were marked with the maker and the maker's location.

The only thing strange to my eyes is the style of the movement, I'd expect to see it in a case marked 1790-1800. The case however is appropriate for 1835.

Casemaker mark JW in oval shape cameo is likely John Williams, 56 Great Sutton Street, EC1. That particular mark was registered first time 1815, and last time 1837.
    I agree with Ron on the movement looking older than the case.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    The only thing strange to my eyes is the style of the movement, I'd expect to see it in a case marked 1790-1800. The case however is appropriate for 1835.
    Is it possible that the movement was sort of "new old stock" and made earlier by either a different "Hume" OR an older movement acquired then modified by the 1830's "Hume"? ...

Guess we can't really know
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by AccuJohn; October 7th, 2010 at 23:43.

It is possible the movement was recased in 1835. There are at least 4 different Hume (listed in Loomes) who were working around the turn of the century (1800).
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I agree that this looks like an earlier Verge than 1830's, especially with the Tompion
    regulator fitted, but some watchmakers were loathe to change and it could be all
    original. The case and movement numbers match.
    Nice catch.

Did this forum suddenly become a sales forum?

Frankly, I'm all for vintages having their own FS, WTB, and WTT forums, it would simplify tracking down obscure parts and trading running vintage movements to complete "projects" .. but unless the rules have changed recently posts like this are to be kept to the appropriate forums.
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information