Need help identifying Edward Howard pocket watch

Thread: Need help identifying Edward Howard pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help identifying Edward Howard pocket watch

I have an Edward Howard watch that was passed down to me but have had a hard time finding out exactly which model it is. Ive narrowed things down a little bit but have never been able to find a picture of one that looks like the pocket watch I have. I believe it's a series 5 and 19 jewel. It's a size 16 and an open face RR style. If anyone has a good amount of knowledge about this style watch that would be great and I can post pictures too.

Re: Need help identifying Edward Howard pocket watch

If you 'can' post pictures, I'm wondering why they haven't already been posted. It's not easy finding out things about a watch when we can't see it. A picture saying a thousand words isn't a cliche...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Does the dial say "Edward Howard" fully spelled out? If so, that's a really good sign.

Please post pictures. I'm personally not overly knowledgeable of Keystone Howard products, but would still be glad to offer my opinion.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  phpGB6mijAM.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  46.8 KBName:  phppOSq1IAM.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  39.6 KBName:  phplEQUYnAM.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  28.9 KBName:  phpZkmgszAM.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  44.8 KBName:  phpuC1bUiAM.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  47.3 KBName:  phpQm7A3NAM.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  52.5 KBName:  phpq1f5vZAM.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  45.5 KBName:  phpZK8VGDAM.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  63.7 KBName:  php6m24BlAM.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  66.4 KBName:  phpoThW7qAM.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  39.4 KBName:  php7WpwRxAM.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  47.7 KBName:  phpEEliAzAM.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  35.8 KBName:  php7WpwRxAM.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  47.7 KBName:  phpEEliAzAM.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  35.8 KBName:  phpsLahunAM.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  30.1 KBName:  phpGX1Zt5AM.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  28.8 KB

If the original description matches the movement, it is indeed a Series 5. Oddly, the 19 jewel watch was made only in a Series 5, while other jewel count Howards (17, 21 & 23) have more than one series.

When I collected Keystone Howards, it seemed to me there were fewer 19J models out there, compared to each of the other models. Whether that is merely my perception or there are fewer 19J movements is hard to say.

The serial number on the paper is from around 1910. You have a great watch, and the box makes it desirable.

In case you're not familiar with Howards, your watch was made by the Keystone Watch Co., after E. Howard & Co. sold the name in 1902. While "Early Howards" are typically more desired than "Keystone Howards," yours is quite a good watch: railroad grade with the Montgomery dial (where each minute is marked).

It's been 20 years since I've collected pocket watches (nearly all Keystone Howards). But your watch sure brings back fond memories. Enjoy it in good health!

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Looks like you've already received a good answer from someone who knows what they're talking about.

I can only add one thing-please get rid of that yellow crystal!
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    I can only add one thing-please get rid of that yellow crystal!
    I might agree, but replace the crystal and KEEP that yellow one somewhere safe. One day, funky vintage will return...

Don't save the yellowed crystal, the yellowing is indicative of the plastic deteriorating. If left on the watch fumes will cause rusting of the hands and movement. The original crystal would have been glass.

so would you recommend that I have the crystal replaced or keep the original on there? Because I wouldn't want to depreciate the value by not having all the original parts on it. Also when I was looking around the closest style of Howard watch I found was one that was a California RR or something like that but I cannot find the link anymore. As you said its somewhat of a later one after the company was sold but how much do you think it's worth? The only issues is there is a small hairline crack in the case but everything else is fully functioning and great.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

As Ron says the current crystal is emitting gases which are rusting the more important original parts - if you leave it on you risk losing far more value than anything that a yellowed crystal might add. In any case crystals were normal service replacements so the chances are that this one isn't original in any case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information