Need help identifying this hamilton.

Thread: Need help identifying this hamilton.

Need help identifying this hamilton.

My mom recently gave me an old hamilton watch. The only info she was able to give me was that it was probably my great grandfather's but she wasn't sure. It did not have a band with it. It appears to be made of gold. It appears to be non-automatic, it works when I wind it but shaking it does nothing. I do not have access to as camera so can not take pictures, but I found a picture online of one that looks very similar. The only difference is the little clock thing on the lower middle area of the watch on mine is circular, and in this picture is squared. Also, my watch appears to be a little bit thicker. I can get a camera tommorow and take pictures of it, but I was hoping you guys could identify it so I wouldn't need to. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need help identifying this hamilton.

Hey Jake,

If your watch is similar to the one in the photo, then it's probably from the 1930s or 40s. It would be a handwound watch (meaning that you need to wind it up by turning the crown on the side of the watch-case). Automatic, self-winding watches didn't become common until the 1950s and 60s, so shaking your watch will do absolutely nothing to get it going.

The 'clock thingy' at the bottom is called the seconds subdial / sub-seconds dial / seconds-dial...It goes by many names. It was a common feature on pocket watches and wristwatches in the 19th and 20th centuries, and can still be found on watches today.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Welcome to the forum. You will need to take pictures as your description is not enough for identification, it could be one of several models. Your Hamilton is definetely not an automatic, it is manual wind. As the watch has probably not been cleaned and oiled for many years you shouldn't run it for any length of time.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, but you will need to post pictures of the actual watch for us to properly examine. Hamilton produced hundreds of styles back in the 1930s and 1940s, and many of them look ALMOST EXACTLY the same as others.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Thread Information