Need Help Identifying an old Omega Seamaster 18k yellow gold
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By DIABLOOON
  • 1 Post By doggbiter
  • 1 Post By busmatt
  • 1 Post By gatorcpa

Thread: Need Help Identifying an old Omega Seamaster 18k yellow gold

Need Help Identifying an old Omega Seamaster 18k yellow gold

Hello everyone, I have an old Omega Seamaster 18K gold watch I was wondering what is the exact model of the watch, and in what year it was made, also if anyone can give me a price estimate I would really be grateful.

Hope to hear from anyone who can aid :)

Best regards,
    Dan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt and doggbiter like this.

Re: Need Help Identifying an old Omega Seamaster 18k yellow gold

Firstly we don't do valuations here, now nice seamaster, it's a front loading case like the Seamaster DeVille, I'd hazard a guess its a 5xx/6xx series movement but it maybe a 7xx series, either way it should give years of great service if properly looked after.

Matt
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

As Matt said, we don't do valuations on the forum. Your best bet is to search Ebay for comparables.

If you take the watch to a watchmaker or jeweler, you should find a number engraved inside of it, that you can plug into the Omega Heritage database (OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database) and pull up more information on the model (if it is available) and movement.

It is a lovely watch, probably 1960s, and should probably be cleaned and serviced if you don't know it's history and want to wear it.

Wear it in good health.
    busmatt likes this.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hey Matt thanks for the prompt reply, according to a guy I talked to in the watch store, the mechanism in this watch is a cal 565 but there are two thing I cant understand about my watch. While reading about omega watches on the internet I saw that most of them have the word automatic written in the inside of the watch under the omega logo, does this mean my watch is an older model? if it does not contain that word? secondly the shape of the hour indicators on my watch are a bit different then the DeVille photos I saw online hoping you can assist to answer my questions,

Best regards,
    Dan.

No Problem Dan, the 565 is a great movement if it is this movement the date is quick set by pulling the crown out to position 3 and pushing it back in, just to clarify, position 1, the crown is full pushed home, position 2 the crown is pulled out one notch and the time can be adjusted, position 3 the crown is pulled out one more notch then pushed back to position 2 and the date should move over, avoid doing this between 9pm and 2am.
    Don't get to paranoid over the markers on the dial, Omega had numerous variations and not all of them said automatic on the dial, when you gently shake it you should feel the weight rotating inside.

Matt
    doggbiter likes this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLOOON View Post
    Hey Matt thanks for the prompt reply, according to a guy I talked to in the watch store, the mechanism in this watch is a cal 565 but there are two thing I cant understand about my watch. While reading about omega watches on the internet I saw that most of them have the word automatic written in the inside of the watch under the omega logo, does this mean my watch is an older model?
    Did the guy in the watch store actually open the watch through the crystal? If not, then he may be making an incorrect assumption. Some Seamasters had manual wind movements, generally caliber 61X. And yes, there was a pump-action quick-set date version of this movement, caliber 613.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Omega_602

If it really does turn out to be an automatic (and it is impossible to tell from your photographs), then the dial has very likely been refinished. Automatic watches were considered to be premium items around 1960 and they were almost always marked as such, even if just for advertising or snob appeal.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Last edited by gatorcpa; July 25th, 2015 at 04:10.
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information