Need help identifying this Omega - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Need help identifying this Omega

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Need help identifying this Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Polipoli View Post
    Could the plastic crystal be the original one? I've done some asking - the bracelet is replaced, but they don't recall a crystal replace. If that's the situation I'm not touching it...
    As MKWS noted above, crystals are a service item which get replaced during service as needed. It's unlikely that anyone would reliably remember this level of detail over this period of time.
    busmatt likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Just to elaborate on mkws' comment: after a service, the watch will run for 6-7 years without problems. If you service it again after that time, it will run for another 6-7 years. And again. Keep doing that and the watch will run fairly well forever.....

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt likes this.

I can assure you the guy wasn't into watches really... yeah, I do know it's weird, but he's like that. He has just seen it's a good brand and bought it without too much knowledge. It's very likely that he didn't took the watch to any kind of maintainance until it had an actual problem. So my guess is the crystal is original.
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Polipoli View Post
    I can assure you the guy wasn't into watches really... yeah, I do know it's weird, but he's like that. He has just seen it's a good brand and bought it without too much knowledge. It's very likely that he didn't took the watch to any kind of maintainance until it had an actual problem. So my guess is the crystal is original.
    It may be, but assuming that he walked into a watchmaker's shop, said "fix all that's wrong with it", and that's all, then the crystal might have been replaced anyway.
    I really wouldn't be concerned if it's either the original one or even an OEM part, this doesn't really matter- I wouldn't say that Omega crystals have any advantage over, for example, Tissot crystals. Hesalite is hesalite. Unless we're talking about armoured hesalite in the 1950s-1960s Seamasters or Constellations. That's a different story.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

One thing I didn't mention - This is a very old watch indeed, but the man barely bothered to wear it... I mean, he used it during his military service, and afterwards it probably just sat in his cabinet for 99% of the time because he didn't use the watch.
    So.... it was mostly just stored in a completely static condition. I don't know if it needs service just yet because I think he had it serviced just few years ago and again it just sat in his cabinet afterwards. I'm thinking about getting an original Omega bracelet for it, though.

Yeah... But "just few years ago" can mean many things. The lubricating oil has a certain "life expectancy". And that is between 6 and 7 years, with 7 years under the condition that it hasn't been worn excessively. But it matters not if it was kept in a shelf or on the wrist for these 7 years, that's just how long will the oils last. By using a watch overdue for service, you risk damaging it, as the parts- without a lubricant- will wear out. When I bought my '69 Zenith Sporto, the movement was stuck with old grease, and the parts were worn (since it didn't work, I bought it at a bargain)- and the watchmaker had a hard time believing how someone could have caused a watch to land up in a condition like that.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information