Need help identifying this Omega
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Need help identifying this Omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help identifying this Omega

Hello, today my grandpa gave me his old Omega watch, it's hand wound, and is very probably purchased in 1950. I'm quite certain that the bracelet and glass aren't original... but hey, the man had this watch for 65 years and it's still running, so fake or not is out of the question here. I only would be happy to get some identification here.
    P.S. the back seem to have gone through some serious use, barely anything visible, just several numbers that can only be seen under deep examination. I've managed to capture some of them as well.

Thanks in advance!

Name:  omeganum.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  700.9 KBName:  omega.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  794.0 KB
    doggbiter likes this.

Re: Need help identifying this Omega

As in case of every Omega, only the reference number found on the inner side of the case back can enable proper idenitfication. I don't think that the numbers outside mean anything, Omega didn't place any number there, neither serial nor reference.
    As to the movement, it's most likely a 30T2 or a later derivative of it, with an indirect sweep second (which changes the jewel count as well- 16 instead of 15 jewels).
    doggbiter likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    As in case of every Omega, only the reference number found on the inner side of the case back can enable proper idenitfication. I don't think that the numbers outside mean anything, Omega didn't place any number there, neither serial nor reference.
    As to the movement, it's most likely a 30T2 or a later derivative of it, with an indirect sweep second (which changes the jewel count as well- 16 instead of 15 jewels).
    Snap on/off or screw on/off bottom?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    Snap on/off or screw on/off bottom?

snap on/off button

So (and sorry for double posting) - What should I do next? Should I have it serviced? Restored? Only restore a part of it? Cleaning? Or should I do nothing? This watch has been working for more than 65 years, but I have no idea how exactly it has been taken care of. I know only that the bracelet and glass are very probably replaced and not original. I really need some advice here on how to take care of it...

It doesn't need any restoration- the case doesn't look badly scratched, and the dial has an absolutely fantastic patina.
    The only things that have to be done are a movement COA (cleaning, oiling, adjustment) and polishing out the crystal.
    I would put it on a nice, brown leather strap, but if you like it more on the bracelet, then there's no reason to change that.
    Yeah, the crystal isn't original. But that's like complaining about the tyres not being original in a vintage car. This might as well be the tenth crystal that this watch had, ever since it left the Omega factory.
    doggbiter and busmatt like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

One of the first things I consider to replace is the glass... which is, well, not even a glass, I think it's plastic, lol. So if I'm going to replace the "glass" and have the movement serviced, how should I do it? should I contact Omega?
    Also I'm curious - just how longer do you think this watch can run? 10 years? 50?
    Last edited by Polipoli; February 26th, 2016 at 14:18.

With modern lubricating oils, 6-7 years. Servicing it at Omega is the last thing you should ever do, unless you don't mind spending a grand for what a good, independent watchmaker will do for a hundred.
    The term "crystal" applies universally, regardless of the actual material. Yes, it's plastic, or -if you prefer a more precise term- hesalite.
    busmatt likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

That's a sweet family heirloom! As mkws suggests, you should really have the movement serviced-- it's probably long dried out and running on empty. Many independent watchmakers can handle that and they'll do it much cheaper than sending it back to Omega.

As for the crystal, unless its cracked, you could always invest in a tube of Polywatch or Flitz polish and a micro-fiber cloth and spend 1/2 an hour polishing it and it will look like new. That's the nice thing about vintage acrylic crystals.

Dump that aftermarket bracelet and get a nice leather strap, and you've got an elegant daily wearer that's also seriously meaningful.
    busmatt likes this.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

Could the plastic crystal be the original one? I've done some asking - the bracelet is replaced, but they don't recall a crystal replace. If that's the situation I'm not touching it... maybe just clean it as Doggbiter suggested. It has several scratches, but as I said, this watch has been in actual wars. The man also says his squad coordination was cycling around this watch because it was the most accurate watch back then and there. I will check about giving it some maintainance. Thanks a lot for the tips, they'll help me a lot.

P.S. I'm not a fan of leather straps... Mostly because I like durability, and they seem too fragile.
    Last edited by Polipoli; February 26th, 2016 at 17:07.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information