Need Help Identifying a Piece of History

Thread: Need Help Identifying a Piece of History

Need Help Identifying a Piece of History

Hey guys, I just came across my Grandfather's old mechanical watch, and I'm really quite intrigued by it, but I know nothing about it. (It still works btw, but probably hasn't been serviced for 30+ years.) I'm hoping that you guys are familiar with Waltham watches and can tell me a little bit about it.

Thanks again!
    "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx

Re: Need Help Identifying a Piece of History

Quote Originally Posted by XAlexander View Post
    Hey guys, I just came across my Grandfather's old mechanical watch, and I'm really quite intrigued by it, but I know nothing about it. (It still works btw, but probably hasn't been serviced for 30+ years.) I'm hoping that you guys are familiar with Waltham watches and can tell me a little bit about it.

Thanks again!

Without seeing the movement I can only guess. I think it is a swiss hand wind movement, and the style makes me think 1960's to early 1970's. If you are going to wear it just have it serviced by a good watch repairman.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Without seeing the movement I can only guess. I think it is a swiss hand wind movement, and the style makes me think 1960's to early 1970's. If you are going to wear it just have it serviced by a good watch repairman.
    I would pop the back, but I don't have the tools to do so. Thanks for the input. Does anyone know much about the Waltham watch company? Maybe that could help a little in identifying it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

The Waltham Watch Company, also known as the American Waltham Watch IOBNCo. and the American Watch Co., produced about 40 million high quality watches, clocks, speedometers, compasses, time fuses and other precision instruments between 1850 and 1957.

If you can get the back of the watch open you will be able to get the serial number off the movement of the watch. Then use the below link to match up the date.

Their old factory is approximately 100 feet from my doorstep.

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/waltham.html
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

stuffler,mike

Thread moved to Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    The Waltham Watch Company, also known as the American Waltham Watch IOBNCo. and the American Watch Co., produced about 40 million high quality watches, clocks, speedometers, compasses, time fuses and other precision instruments between 1850 and 1957.

If you can get the back of the watch open you will be able to get the serial number off the movement of the watch. Then use the below link to match up the date.

Their old factory is approximately 100 feet from my doorstep.

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/waltham.html
    Thanks a bunch man! I'll have to take it to a jeweler and get the back off and maybe see if I can replace the crystal.

The original Waltham Watch Company (of Waltham Mass.) declared bankruptcy in 1949, and the factory in Waltham closed its doors for the last time in 1952. Six years later, they renamed themselves Waltham Precision Instruments. At the same time, a new company named Waltham Watch Co. was registered in Delaware (also known as Waltham of Chicago). The new company was materially unrelated to the original, other then that the new company purchased the rights to use the name in the form of stock (one stock of the new company for every 5 of the old). The new company imported and sold watches from Europe.

I believe (but have no evidence) that the diamond logo on yours actually post dates even that company; rights to the name were sold to M.Z. Berger & Co. There is also a swiss company (Waltham International SA) that was started as a subsidiary of the original Waltham, and which is now a part of the Swatch group. However, they're prohibited from selling Waltham branded watches in the U.S., and mainly sell to japan.

Because this watch doesn't say "Swiss Made" on the dial, it probably has a PUW movement in it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information