Need Help Identifying Pocket Watches
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marrick
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Need Help Identifying Pocket Watches

Need Help Identifying Pocket Watches

Hello! I'm new here and I need some help with 2 pocket watches that my dad had just given.

The first watch is this gold colored watch with blueish hands and this design on it's back.
    Name:  20150219_021449.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  2.18 MBName:  20150219_021455.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  2.10 MB

In the inside there is a mark with 56 and 14K with what looks like a squirrel. And the words "Ancre Spiral Breguet Balancier Compensateur 16 Rubis".
    It is also marked with the word "CUIVRE".
    Name:  20150219_021509.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  2.22 MBName:  20150219_021527.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  1.80 MBName:  20150219_021536.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  2.23 MB

The second watch is marked as Swiss made with the initials of D.W.C. and Meltis. It comes with a key winder with the initials WM and an elephant on the other side.
    Name:  20150219_021346.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  2.20 MBName:  20150219_021406.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  2.12 MBName:  20150219_021435.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  2.25 MB

I would really appreciate it if there is anyone who could identify it as I was not able to find out much online about them. Thank you.

Re: Need Help Identifying Pocket Watches

Welcome.

I'm not a pocket watch guy - but I did find Meltis:

Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

a brand of "Fabrique d'Horlogerie Delémont / Ruedin & Cie" according to Mikrolisk. Others will know more.

Actually, found a bit about Ruedin. From http://www.diju.ch/f/notices/detail/7019 and translated automatically by Google:

Ruedin (family)

Family entrepreneurs originally from Landeron.
    Jämes (1833-1922) directs the process of draft Corgémont, branch factory of draft Fontainemelon.
    Two of his son, Jämes (1869-1936) and Henri (1870-1956) was the head of the watchmaking factory Delemont. In 1896, the brothers are taking shares in the company becomes "Weber Ruedin et Cie, Fabrique d'Horlogerie Delémont". In 1900, became "Ruedin and Co.," the factory is run by Jämes alone. It became a limited company in 1919 with a board of directors composed of the two brothers and two Ruedin industrial Delémont, Adolphe and Oskar Fasnacht. In 1921, the two brothers Ruedin no longer part of the company. In 1926 the factory joined "Blanks SA" and closed its doors two years later.

A third son, the twin brother of Henry George (1870-1935) founded the Noirmont in 1897 with Leon Master, the partnership "Masters Brothers and Ruedin" active in the manufacture of watches. In 1900 he separates from his associates and creates always Noirmont, the company "Georges Ruedin". In 1902 he was appointed director of the Company becomes Reconvilier Watch in 1908, "the Company Horlogère Reconvilier (Reconvilier Watch Co)". Georges Ruedin is the director until his death in 1935 and the sole director since 1928. Two of his son, André (1902-1947) and Jean-Robert (1905-1997) will take over the company's head .
    His third son, George (1895-1953) founded in 1926, with Albert Jaquat the watch factory boxes "Jaquat Ruedin and Co." which becomes "George Ruedin" in 1933 and "George Ruedin SA" in 1951. In the beginning
    The company benefits from the company's order led by the father of George Ruedin the Reconvilier Watch C °.

There is still a factory - now part of Swatch: http://www.swatchgroup.com/fr/marque...facture_ruedin
    Last edited by Marrick; February 18th, 2015 at 21:04.
    eri231 likes this.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The second movement is reminescent of the MST (Meyer & Stüdeli) Cal. 12 - although that is not key wound. Maybe yours is an earlier version?!

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: MST 12

The first is a higher grade movement but probably also generic. Both the movement makers Adolf Schild and Fontainemelon (FHF) had similar movements in their collection, e.g.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 19'''H6.5

Hartmut Richter
    eri231 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Marrick and Hartmut. I'm fairly new to this and have zero knowledge about watches. Everything seems so confusing to me haha.

Is is possible to find out whom the maker was and the year it was made by the design?
    Last edited by matrika; February 19th, 2015 at 16:03.

Not exactly. The Meltis trademark was registered 1912. The factory closed in 1928. So the watch would probably have been made between those 2 dates. If the the link Hartmut gave is correct the movement would be by MST (Roamer). Vintage Roamer Watch Site

The other one is probably of a similar age. Hartmut has given one possibility for the movement - but its not always possible to definitively ID these movements unless marked by the maker.

...and in those days, makers' marks (if present at all) were frequently on the side of the movement under the dial.

Hartmut Richter

The movement of the first one seems more like an FHF 18"', given that jewel above the gear in the centre of the movement...
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 18'''
    And the watch itself appears to have a solid 14k gold case.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The second movement is reminescent of the MST (Meyer & Stüdeli) Cal. 12 - although that is not key wound. Maybe yours is an earlier version?!

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: MST 12

Hartmut Richter
    The balance cock would be right. It would however be L. Tieche Gammeter not MST. I've never seen a key wind or set movement from them but their early history is very obscure. If it was then it would pretty much have to be close to 1912 as in 1913 LTG patented a stem setting device. I've not seen a pin set from them so I don't know what they used before the stem setting.

No, it's definitely not that one - the 18''' is a cylindre escapement movement and yours has a Swiss lever.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information