Need help identifying a Tacy Cyma pocket watch

Thread: Need help identifying a Tacy Cyma pocket watch

Need help identifying a Tacy Cyma pocket watch

Hello! Iíve been lurking around for a little while now and decided to post now as I needed some help.

Over a decade ago my late grandmother gave me an old pocket watch. I took it to a local watch maker who reattached the second hand (it fell off after the repair). He also told me the watch wasnít worth repairing/restoring as the movement was badly designed and the main flaw was that it internally would grind and eat itself and would be unable to keep time accurately.

A few days ago I found it in my belongings and tried winding and let it run, and to my surprise it kept time accurately for days. I then opened up the back and saw it is a 6 jeweled Swiss Cyma Tacy.

So what I need help with is identifying this watch and if, in fact, this watch is not worth repairing/restoring? Would it be a viable option as a daily carry watch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need help identifying a Tacy Cyma pocket watch

The watch is kind of in bad shape cosmetically (dial) and I notice a screw missing on the back. The watch would just have sentimental value. You can do an Ebay search to see what folks are selling them for. If it runs and keeps time, maybe search for another dial or use it as is. TACY was a combo of Tavannes and Cyma.

Re: Need help identifying a Tacy Cyma pocket watch

That local watchmaker's advice was correct, I'm afraid. It was never a quality watch to begin with and it wouldn't really be suitable for daily use due to its low jewel count even if you had it properly serviced and if it was cosmetically in better shape. As it is now, I'd say it's really not worth investing either time or money in it. If it has sentimental value, just preserve it as is...

There are a lot of nice pocket watches out there to be found, even for relatively little money. If you'd like to use one, I'd suggesting starting afresh.

Just be careful, they have a tendency to multiply. Even starting with one seems to be an equivalent of procuring a pair of ...er... enthusiastic... rabbits.