NEED HELP IDENTIFYING VINTAGE BRAND & TYPE !!
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: NEED HELP IDENTIFYING VINTAGE BRAND & TYPE !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NEED HELP IDENTIFYING VINTAGE BRAND & TYPE !!

Hi there! I just won a watch through bidding on eBay. I'm not quite sure what is the brand or the history of the brand. I simply bought it because I like the style of it. Maybe you guys know more about the watch? Such as the movement of the watch?

Thank you so much!
    Josh

Vanguard Special Swiss Automatic Diver - Super Compressor Style - Recent Service

Re: NEED HELP IDENTIFYING VINTAGE BRAND & TYPE !!

Hi,

The brand is Vanguard, more info here: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

The style is of a compressor but it's not a real one, just imitation
    balaton likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Hi,

The brand is Vanguard, more info here: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

The style is of a compressor but it's not a real one, just imitation
    oh dang! lucky you have told me before I paid. thank you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Since you won the auction, it would be unethical for you not to pay for it. Questions should be asked ahead of time, not after the fact. The watch is what it is, a legitimate vintage entry-level diver-style watch from a lesser known brand, it's not a fake. @laikrodukas means that the case is just not an actual EPSA super-compressor case, but it doesn't claim to be. Decent movement, hands and dial original and in good shape. Chrome plated case in rough condition.
    balaton, KP-99 and WatchFred like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hi JJ92, the above comments from both members are entirely correct, and the use of the word "style" in a vendor's description is generally sufficient to encourage some further thought about the item. So, pay for it and wear it in good health.

Regards.

Hi Josh,

it is always amazig to see, what sort of money newbies bid on dubious watches.

After such a ridiculous description one should at least study, what the poor pics can't hide, and read beween lines.:
    1) If Google doesn't show up something substantial about a brand, you can be sure that it is not far from no-name.
    2) "Stainless steel back" indicates a cheap plated case, formerly chrome here.
    3) The color of the bezel's backside shows that the chrome is completely gone there, and even the space between the crowns is fairly free from chrome, i.e. the case is not far from being a ruine.
    4) Without movement pic one should only bid on the case and the dial, because the movement can be any between a rusty cadaver and actually nothing like here: Ranfft Watches, Troubles
    5) "Compressor" and "Super Compressor" are simply the cheapest ways to get a back waterproof. It is only mentioned because some believe that things with a name are valuable. This watch has a solid screw back, and this is the only positive to say about it.
    6) A claimed "recent service" not accompanied by a return privilege and a garanty is usually something between done nothing (the better option) and dumped in oil (the worse option).

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; August 21st, 2017 at 14:35.
    v8chrono and badbackdan like this.

I just won a watch through bidding on eBay...

I don't believe this. You buy a watch, then go to the forum and ask questions, and then you decide to pay or not. Highly dubious behaviour, to say the least. The watch was adequately described, at least in a way that you could make a decision one way or the other; if in doubt, ask BEFORE the purchase. That's one of the (major) reasons I shy away from selling at eBay, you never know who comes along. I once had a nut not paying as his father was not willing to give him the money and he didn't ask him beforehand (the father didn't pay either, although the transaction was made from his account). Another monkey was not paying as he never received an item which his grandmother had accepted and forgotten, finally found out after four weeks of research. Sorry, but things like that have to be said in all openess, not at least to avoid that people get the wrong idea about this forum, like buy the watch (to secure it first), then go to the forum to decide on paying for it or not.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 21st, 2017 at 15:09.
    esdy_11192 likes this.

It's a basic, small, middle of the road pseudo diver from a little known company. It's okay for starters but as others have mentioned it's best to do research before you commit to buy. I'd pay for it (you have committed to do this anyway) and wear it, every time you look at it, you will be reminded to ask more questions beforehand about future purchases . . . .
    Last edited by v8chrono; August 21st, 2017 at 14:53.

@joshjoel92, I'm actually the seller of the watch. If you're really against purchasing it, I'll cancel the sale. I have plenty of feedback both here and on eBay to show I'm not trying to scam anyone. It actually has been serviced by NAWCC certified watchmaker here in the US and keeps quite accurate time. It's an ETA 2783 inside. I have not opened it after the service, but I've attached a picture of the movement here from before the service.

Name:  0139 - Vanguard Movement.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  221.7 KB

I don't put up returns accepted on eBay, because, as noted here, people frequently request returns when they just don't feel like keeping something and want their money back. As my feedback will show both here and there, I never have refused someone money back when there is an issue. Also, I started the auction at $0.99. It's correct that I put up "super-compressor style" because many people use that term to search for this style of the watch even when they don't specifically want an EPSA super-compressor case. Hence I did not claim it was an EPSA case, nor did I price it like one.

In my first post I wrote it's an imitation

But now I wonder what is "super compressor style"? Is this because of two crowns? Is a memovox a super compressor style too?
    Chaos is my focus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information