Need help identifying vintage Mido Multi-Star
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By maxwellllll
  • 1 Post By Habitant
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By maxwellllll

Thread: Need help identifying vintage Mido Multi-Star

Need help identifying vintage Mido Multi-Star

I purchased a Mido secondhand, and I wanted to find out more about it. I have already sent an email to Mido HQ, but until I hear back from them, I assumed that this would be the best forum to ask my questions (if there is a better forum for this, please let me know!).

It is in very clean condition . . . like it's been stored in a drawer. The bracelet appears to be original, as it fits the case perfectly and is signed. Here is a picture of the dial and of the caseback:

Name:  Mido1.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  Mido 2.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  95.0 KB

I haven't opened the caseback yet, because . . . frankly, I was afraid to before checking here first. I assume that it opens from the back, but I seem to recall that some of Mido's watches are monocoque, and therefore can only be opened from the front?

Prominent on the caseback is a sticker with the letters "AN" in the center. Underneath two numbers are engraved: 45460 and 1929.

That's pretty much all I know. Any idea how to open it? When it was made? What the movement should be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    KasperDK, busmatt and OPChagall like this.

Re: Need help identifying vintage Mido Multi-Star

To open it, you need a special Mido wrench, so that puts it in watchmaker country. I would be reluctant to have a go myself, they tend to be rammed on pretty tight.

Midos of this era had lovely high grade ETA movements, such as ETA 2790.

I believe that the watch serial number is 45460 and the case style number is 1929.

I agree that the bracelet is original, by the way. All in all, a nice watch and congratulations.
    busmatt likes this.

That is a beautiful watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks as if it has never been worn... A beauty. I really hate this type of screw-in casebacks- to be precise, that's because a standard wrench proves to be useless when it comes to these. I've heard of opening these with a caliper, but I must strongly discourage trying that- you'd risk scratching the case. Casebacks like that were also a feature of the 1950s Zenith Pilot and the 1960s/1970s Defy lines, and I'm pretty certain I've seen these in some other brands as well.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I agree. It is a really beautiful watch. Full disclosure, though--I'm actually looking to sell it, as I bought it for my wife, but apparently, she feels that it's a bit too much "bling" for her taste. I was hoping to get a bit more info on here before I listed it on Fleabay, but maybe I'll shop it around here first, since y'all seem to find it as lovely as I did when I bought it!
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information