Need help in identifying a vintage pocket watch pleaseeeeeee

Thread: Need help in identifying a vintage pocket watch pleaseeeeeee

Need help in identifying a vintage pocket watch pleaseeeeeee

This was my grandmother's small pocket watch. I'm sure it is quite old since she was born in 1889 and the monogram is of her maiden name. I hope the pictures can shed some light on the make and model, age. I'd like to give it to my son for his birthday and would really, really appreciate any information someone may have to share with me. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need help in identifying a vintage pocket watch pleaseeeeeee

Do you have a daughter as well? This is really too small and too...decorated...to be a man's watch. Men's pocketwatches are larger and plainer in appearance.

But apart from that...

Yes, the watch looks to be about 100 years old. Probably 1910s-1920s? Does that sound about right?

I can tell you that the watch is certainly gold-filled. This means that it's got a brass body with two sheets of gold welded over the top. If you look at the winding-stem, directly under the crown, you can see where the gold has rubbed off and the brass is showing. Don't worry. This was common on a lot of gold-filled watches. If your grandmother wound that watch 365 times a year for twenty or thirty years nonstop, then that would certainly wear off the gold around the winding-stem.

If the 'ring' underneath the '6' is genuine and came with the watch when it was made, then I believe the watch-pin (that cute, gold brooch) is on the watch upside down. The pin would have clipped onto the ring on the underside of the watch and then be pinned to a woman's blouse, with the crown and the #12 pointing towards the ground. You lifted the watch with your wrist or fingers to tell the time.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Just a guess, but 'New England Watch Co.' ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is a New England Watch Co. And I believe it is a 10/0 size, that means the movement diameter (without the case) is .866" or 22 mm. It has the correct nickel plated movement and pattern as a reference picture referred to as series 'XXX' in Ehrhardt's book. A reference to a 1898 factory catalog calls it N.E.W. Co model "S". Yours has "SS" marked on the movement as has the reference picture in Ehrhardt's book, it may be a variation. The watch is pendant set, and it never had a seconds hand even when new. The case is as others mentioned a 20 year guarantee gold filled. New England Watch Co also offered 14K solid gold cases, and pretty enameled watches as can be seen in a 1903 catalog here:
    [ELGIN] Documents and Pictures
    and here:
    [ELGIN] Documents and Pictures
    New England Watch Co was in business 1898 to 1914. It was formerly known as the Waterbury Watch Co (1880 to 1898). The company later became the Timex Watch Co, very much still in business.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Does that model have a duplex escapement? The overall design looks roskopf, but that doesn't look like a pin-lever escape wheel.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I do not know them that well, I do have one New England Watch Co with duplex escapement though. Hope this picture can be seen, it is a lousy photograph...

Name:  !BmmsMuQ!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-DEEtgvoFbePBLgQQBULSw~~_12[1].jpg
Views: 726
Size:  14.3 KB
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Hi AbslomRob,
    Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Does that model have a duplex escapement? The overall design looks roskopf, but that doesn't look like a pin-lever escape wheel.
    Yes, the alternating long and short teeth of the escape wheel are clearly visible.
    Differing from high grade duplex watches, where both kinds of teeth are separately
    milled, they are here alternating bent to the top and to the botton.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi AbslomRob,

Yes, the alternating long and short teeth of the escape wheel are clearly visible.
    Differing from high grade duplex watches, where both kinds of teeth are separately
    milled, they are here alternating bent to the top and to the botton.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Thanks Dr. Ranfft. It is good to have you around when we run into unusual watches .
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Fantastic information - thank you so much for taking the time to respond! After so many years in my jewelry box, grandma's watch now has a little "pedigree" to pass along. Again, thank you, and best wishes to all.

Thread Information