Need help identifying Vulcain 17J

Thread: Need help identifying Vulcain 17J

Need help identifying Vulcain 17J

Hello WUS,

I picked up this Vulcain recently, but I need a little bit more information trying to identify when this watch was made and what kind of model it is.

It currently winds up correctly and keeps time real well. The balance wheel was oscillating when the photo was taken. It's the type of balance wheel that has screws/peg-weights against the circumference of the wheel.

Thanks for your help!

Name:  Vulcain17JMovement.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  323.3 KB
    Name:  Vulcain17JMovement2.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  311.0 KB
    Name:  Vulcain17JCasebackInside.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  296.4 KB
    Name:  Vulcain17JCasebackOutside.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  263.5 KB
    Name:  Vulcain17JCrown.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  220.2 KB
    Name:  051913-Vulcain17J.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  269.3 KB
    Last edited by bp6270; May 20th, 2013 at 01:38. Reason: Adding more supporting photos

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Need help identifying Vulcain 17J

That's a really interesting looking movement. I wonder where all the extra jewels are - it claims ot have 17 but if you double up all the gears you can see plus the "normal" jewel count on balance and lever, you would end up at 21. There also seem to be an option of putting the mainspring click on either the mainspring wheel or the transmission wheel (the latter being implemented here), unless something else is missing.....

I am not sure what movement it is but I can see a "143" on the movement so, knowing that Vulcain used in house movements and that there was a Cal. 143 from Vulcain, I would tentatively presume that this is one.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    That's a really interesting looking movement. I wonder where all the extra jewels are - it claims ot have 17 but if you double up all the gears you can see plus the "normal" jewel count on balance and lever, you would end up at 21. There also seem to be an option of putting the mainspring click on either the mainspring wheel or the transmission wheel (the latter being implemented here), unless something else is missing.....

I am not sure what movement it is but I can see a "143" on the movement so, knowing that Vulcain used in house movements and that there was a Cal. 143 from Vulcain, I would tentatively presume that this is one.

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks for the information! I was intrigued with the placement of the click as well. I haven't been able to find out much about this watch. However it is keeping great time, and I am very happy with it. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No info off me but a nice piece with super clean movement.

Thread Information