Need help identifying a watch

Thread: Need help identifying a watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help identifying a watch

Hey guys, I know I'm pretty new around here, but some of you know that my grandfather wore an Omega; when he was taken by the Pakistani Army to be executed, he took it off his wrist and gave it to my grandmother, and she wore it for quite some time. My mother noticed that her mother was wearing her father's watch in a photo they have of her. Can anyone help me identify this? It's an Omega circa 1963 or 64 (sorry for the crappy pic, it's the best I can get):

Thanks in advance. It would be nice to get an ID. If the mods think this is better suited in the Omega forum, please let me know.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Re: Need help identifying a watch

No ideas yet? I think it's a Seamaster, but I'm not sure.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

Very difficult to tell from that fuzzy photograph but it could be one of the older Omega "Geneve" models. Attached is a picture from the Omega Vintage Database.

I'm pretty sure they made a version of this watch without the date. This model was made in the early 1960's.

I'm afraid that without more information, it's going to be difficult to get any closer, as Omega made hundreds and hundreds of different models at this time.

Take care,
    gatorcpa
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Off Topic, That was an unusually humane thing to do. The Soviets did not allow my Great grandfather to do anything before they shot him.

So the watch has been lost?

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

There are no date models.

“Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    No ideas yet? I think it's a Seamaster, but I'm not sure.
    The lugs don't look like any Seamaster I have seen. It's quite possible it is though, Ulackfocus would know. Where is Dennis when you need him?
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Off Topic, That was an unusually humane thing to do. The Soviets did not allow my Great grandfather to do anything before they shot him.

So the watch has been lost?
    They came to get him at the house, and he had an idea of what was coming. He gave his watch and wallet to my grandmother and took only a little cash just in case.

The watch is actually in a safe deposit box in some bank somewhere that my aunt keeps it, and I believe it's quite a distance away, so she can't readily get to it. I want to buy a vintage model that is just like it, so my mother can have one that she can wear and not be afraid of damaging her father's old watch. She said her mother wore it for 30 years or so without ever needing to have it serviced, but it's been sitting in a bank vault somewhere without being touched for the last 15 years, so who knows the condition now?

I'll try to get pictures of the actual watch, instead of a cell phone picture of another picture, but right now, this is the best I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    The lugs don't look like any Seamaster I have seen. It's quite possible it is though, Ulackfocus would know. Where is Dennis when you need him?
    Just browsing eBay, looking for "vintage Omega" in the search bar, I found this:

OMEGA SEAMASTER 30 WINDING VINTAGE SWISS MENS WATCH - eBay (item 310245472693 end time Sep-07-10 10:35:29 PDT)

(Hope it's okay to link that)

It looked pretty close to me, but it looks like most other watches look very similar as well. I might need to find the actual piece to get an ID.

Thanks for all the help so far, guys. I really do appreciate it.

Its OK to link to ebay for discussion or identification purposes. Its if we think someone's trying to promote a listing that it breaks the rules.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Its OK to link to ebay for discussion or identification purposes. Its if we think someone's trying to promote a listing that it breaks the rules.
    Ha, you'll have none of that from me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information