Need help identifying watch on eBay

Thread: Need help identifying watch on eBay

Need help identifying watch on eBay

I can't figure out the make of a watch that is listed on eBay in one of those lot auctions. The item number is 180210316657 and it is the watch in the 11th picture. The one with the off-set hands. Kind of looks like **ony, but I can't figure it out. Maybe this link will take you to the proper picture.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

Re: Need help identifying watch on eBay

Hi -

Can't identify it either.

The problem is not merely the busted hands - and they are busted, not deliberately off-set - is that there is no seconds hand, let alone a central seconds hand, which makes the telemetre scale meaningless. Especially if there's no chrono function. The sense of the telemetre scale is when you see a lightning flash (or more likely, artillery fire on the horizon) you can press the pusher, then stop it when you hear the rumble and you can then read off the distance (it's calibrated at the speed of sound at sea level).

This lacks all of that, and is in rather battered condition at that...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It might even be "Saxony" - the first letter, poking out just to the left of the hand could be a script-style "S". That would be a slightly odd name in view of the fact that it is "Swiss made" (see bottom of dial). The next thing that sticks out is that it has "Antimagnetic" but no indication of jewel count or shockproofing (e.g. "Incabloc"). The third thing that's fishy is that it isn't a chronograph but has tele- and tachymetric scales on the dial. All in all, looks like a cheapo watch (pin lever or so) coming along as mutton dressed like lamb - i.e. better than it really is.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

Can't identify it either.

The problem is not merely the busted hands - and they are busted, not deliberately off-set - is that there is no seconds hand, let alone a central seconds hand, which makes the telemetre scale meaningless. Especially if there's no chrono function. The sense of the telemetre scale is when you see a lightning flash (or more likely, artillery fire on the horizon) you can press the pusher, then stop it when you hear the rumble and you can then read off the distance (it's calibrated at the speed of sound at sea level).

This lacks all of that, and is in rather battered condition at that...

JohnF

Aw, I thought they were purposely offset. As for the condition, I don't want this exact watch. Just thought it would be an interesting watch in better condition.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jolowe86 View Post
    I can't figure out the make of a watch that is listed on eBay in one of those lot auctions. The item number is 180210316657 and it is the watch in the 11th picture. The one with the off-set hands. Kind of looks like **ony, but I can't figure it out. Maybe this link will take you to the proper picture.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0
    Oh dear... This could have been an interesting watch if it wasn't so totally wrecked.

This tele/tachy dial on a non-chrono watch of this vintage usually indicates that the watch has a 'hack' function i.e. the movement stops when the crown is raised to the setting position (like a quartz does), or occasionally with a hack button on the case (I believe Timex did one). It means that if you use the watch for timing, then you need another watch handy to reset the time afterwards

Essentially it's a near-useless feature, but typical of value-adding on cheap watches up until the 1960s (the earliest examples go back to the 1880s). From the 1970s until the present, tele/tachy dials on non-chrono mechanicals have generally been purely cosmetic i.e. not indicating a hack function.

This watch however is too far gone to be collectable.

Thread Information