Need help IDing/dating this Chemin-De-Fer Pocketwatch

Thread: Need help IDing/dating this Chemin-De-Fer Pocketwatch

Need help IDing/dating this Chemin-De-Fer Pocketwatch

Hi Everyone -- I'm new to the site. I have recently received a couple of antique pocket watches from my father after being interested in them for years. I would very much appreciate any help you can lend in identifying and dating this watch, and also the manufacturer.

This watch face says "Chemin-De-Fer Callaerts" and "Bruxelles" and I'm assuming it's from before the existence of the SNCB railway system in Belgium. It's stamped "Swiss" inside the back cover, and the works are labeled in French and Spanish. The same crest on the back of the watch is stamped on the works also.

Thank you for any input you may have.

Re: Need help IDing/dating this Chemin-De-Fer Pocketwatch

Hi -

First of all, welcome to the forum! Hope we can help you, and please be so kind to make sure that you read the forum rules and our sticky notes at the top of the forum...

Chemin-de-fer is, of course, French for railroad (literally "street of iron"), and I imagine that you've got an issued Belgian railroad watch: there are others here who are vastly more knowledgeable about these kind of things...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thank you for the welcome, John! I have read the rules and look forward to learning more about my watches and clocks.
    John
    p.s., judging from your blog names, you must be a King Crimson fan. I saw Adrian Belew in Denver in October -- great show as always!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a "Roskopf" style of watch; note how there is no visible center hole, and the lever extends nearly to the edge of the movement. It's a pin lever movement with the motion works (hands) being powered directly off the mainspring barrel. These movements were designed to be cheap, rugged and disposable, and were marketed for people who wanted to tell time, and didn't care if the watch was off by a minute or so. Early versions of this style didn't have a seconds hand, and they were often referred to as "Farmers Watches", as that was one of the big markets for them.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Sure is "Roskopf" type of movement.I like that dial,pity its dmaged as it is.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Thank you for the information. The face was damaged when I received it, so it has had a few knocks, but it's still working fine. Sounds like it was never a railroad-quality watch, but it's interesting nonetheless. Thanks again!

Thread Information