Need help learning about a G. Favre Jacot pocket watch

Thread: Need help learning about a G. Favre Jacot pocket watch

Need help learning about a G. Favre Jacot pocket watch

Dear Forum,

I am new to this forum and am here seeking any information that can be provided on a silver pocket watch with a hunter case that is marked inside "No 84612 G Favre Jacot Locle." Under one of the serial numbers on the case is a "P." The face of the watch is not marked, and it appears that the movement is also unmarked. It is running and keeping ok time. It is a "lever set" watch. The details given when purchased were that this is "European" and late 1800s. I've since learned that the Locle marking means that its from Switzerland and that Georges Favre Jacot was the forerunner to Zenith watches. I'd love some more specificity. Specifically, is it unusual that the movement isn't marked? Does it appear to be an original movement? Why would the face be unmarked? Any way to tell the exact age of this watch? Thank you so much in advance for any information you might have! Sara
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need help learning about a G. Favre Jacot pocket watch

1880s-1890s, judging by the looks of it, and the fact that it's stem wound and lever set.

Some of GF-J's movements were marked, some weren't. All in all, it does resemble his other designs, especially the plate covering a part of the ratchet wheel, although the shape of the balance cock seems slightly different from the straight one found in most of them (Billodes ebauches).

You'd be better off posting it in the Vintage & Pocket watches section - maybe SilkeN will see the thread then, and she's the resident expert on early Zeniths and everything related to Georges Favre-Jacot.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Need help learning about my G. Favre Jacot pocket watch

Dear Forum,

I am new to this forum and am reposting from the Public Forum where I wrongly posted this before. I am here seeking any information that can be provided on a silver pocket watch with a hunter case that is marked inside "No 84612 G Favre Jacot Locle." Under one of the serial numbers on the case is a "P." The face of the watch is not marked, and it appears that the movement is also unmarked. It is running and keeping ok time. It is a "lever set" watch. The details given when purchased were that this is "European" and late 1800s. I've since learned that the Locle marking means that its from Switzerland and that Georges Favre Jacot was the forerunner to Zenith watches. I'd love some more specificity. Specifically, is it unusual that the movement isn't marked? Does it appear to be an original movement? Why would the face be unmarked? Any way to tell the exact age of this watch? Thank you so much in advance for any information you might have! Sara
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Need help learning about a G. Favre Jacot pocket watch

Thank you so much! I have posted it to Vintage and Pocket watches (I'm new to this so didn't know where to put it). Hopefully SilkeN or someone will be able to add what you've already so kindly given me. Thank you!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Need help learning about my G. Favre Jacot pocket watch

Two threads merged. One should do the trick methinks!!
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Need help learning about my G. Favre Jacot pocket watch

I am nearly sure that it isn't a GF-J movement (or a related calibre, e.g. Billodes or Diogene). In fact, it looks a little like a Ulysse Nardin movement, e.g. this (smaller!) one for comparison:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Ulysse Nardin 9, 10.5'''

UN were and are also located in Le Locle, just like Zenith (as the company of GF-J is now called). GF-J did use other makers' movements in the old days, e.g. by Heinrich Moser so I think that this one was very likely obtained elsewhere and may have been by UN.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information