Need help: Leyonet pocket watch

Thread: Need help: Leyonet pocket watch

Need help: Leyonet pocket watch

Today I received a Leyonet pocket watch from my father in law. He know I am obsessed by watches and asked my opinion. I tried to find some information but hadn't any luck. I am thinking of sending it to a watchmaker and give it some service. Not because I think the watch is worth alot of money but because it is a family item which in my opinion needs more pride :)

I estimate the watch around 100 years in age. This are my first thoughts about it:

Bad:
    - It don't have a crystal (but this can be fixed for a low price)
    - have some good marks of wear (but hell, it is 100 years old)
    - Never heard of the brand 'leyonet' (looks french)

Good:
    - First wind indicates the watch is running , in a 6 hour test it keeps accurate time
    - Original dial is in very good condition (no (big) scuffs, marks or flaws)
    - Original hands in good condition

Some pics:

The dial:

The inner case showing
    '1/2 chronometre'
    'Leyonet 19 rubies'
    'balancier compense'

The movement, seems it has some adjustment options as well

Hoping anyone has more information about this watch? And any thoughts about service it and polish/plate it a bit.

Re: Need help: Leyonet pocket watch

Leyonet was a brand of Auguste Favre (Swiss) ca 1901 and I'd say this bridge movement dates to that time. The hands are quite characteristic of the Art Nouveau era. Do not run this watch without getting it cleaned and lubricated as you'll destroy it internally if it's run dry. I'm going to move this to the Pocket Watch forum.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Tnx for the reply!

Do you think this watch is worth fixing? I looked about more info with no succes. Does this watches have some value at all besides emotional value?

I really think that I should fix it but if it is just a one in a 1000 vintage pocketwatch I let it go...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Late XIX century, good quality movement, only needs service. Definitely restore!

Tnx all!

Anybody else have some more info about the movement / manufacturer? What will a service on this kind of watch much likely cost?

Won't find out much more than we already know I'm afraid. Swiss movements are very difficult to ID. If it doesn't need parts it'll be upwards of $100-$200 to clean and lubricate. If it needs parts they would likely have to be made except for mainsprings. Worth restoraton if it's a family heirloom. These things are never particularly valuable, and we don't try to give a price anyway.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 4th, 2013 at 02:21.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information