Need help selecting Vintage Hello Experts, I was looking to buy a vintageAtlantic Worldmaster
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Need help selecting Vintage Hello Experts, I was looking to buy a vintageAtlantic Worldmaster

Question Need help selecting Vintage Hello Experts, I was looking to buy a vintageAtlantic Worldmaster

Hello Experts,
    I was looking to buy a vintage Atlantic Worldmaster and came across these which I liked. I would like your expert advise on authenticity, dial, crown, etc. The dials seem original to me with the font and amount of fade on the red text. Seems like all Atlantic crowns did not have the 'a' logo on them. Posting some photos for reference. Any guidance is appreciated. Name:  Super De Luxe 70-79_3.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  76.0 KBName:  Super De Luxe 70-79_2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  86.7 KBName:  Super De Luxe 70-79_1.jpg
Size:  62.0 KBName:  Original 70-79_3.jpg
Size:  70.6 KBName:  Original 70-79_2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  66.0 KBName:  Original 70-79_1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  62.6 KB

Re: Need help selecting Vintage Hello Experts, I was looking to buy a vintageAtlantic Worldma

It looks original and nice. The crown has been probably replaced (but it isn't so important),

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Need help selecting Vintage Hello Experts, I was looking to buy a vintageAtlantic Worldma

Welcome to Watchuseek! Two nice looking watches you have come up wiuth - and yet, I suspect that both are in fact redials. Very good redials but redials nonetheless. My reasons?

1. Both seem to have black paint creeping up the side of the applied markers (it shouldn't)

2. Black dials are very rare in vintage watches, yet are a favourite among rediallers since it is easy to cover up existing imperfections with a thick layer of black coating!

The first has an Adolf Schild movement, the second an Unitas calibre:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1604

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 6300N

Hartmut Richter
    jlowyz likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can obviously be wrong but the graphics seem correct to me

However, better photos would be needed.

I'd say likely to be original.

It is original watch. There were black dialed Atlantic watches. Theyre sought after due to large size.
    WPAC OFFICIAL SENIOR BASHER

"your grail shall be bashed"

Thanks all, very helpful...i think i will go with the "Original" if I am able to get it in the $150-$175 range. Hartmut, appreciate you including the links to the movements and the subtle pointers on how to identify redials. I am new to vintages and watches as a whole (in terms of movements, details, etc) and feel that these forums are the absolute best to grow my knowledge.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would also say that, presuming they are redials, they are of a high quality. The critical point is whether there is black paint on the sides of the applied indices. If not, they are unlikely to be redials. If so, they are definitely redials. It's just that, judging by your first photos, it looked to me as if there was paint on the indices.....

Hartmut Richter

IMHO the dials are not the problem. Cases are. These are chrome cased watches. If you are looking for one look for one with clean case. Also the silver dialed ones are likely to be original and have a nice sunburst.

Also make sure you send pictures of caseback. These had very specific casebacks
    WPAC OFFICIAL SENIOR BASHER

"your grail shall be bashed"

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I would also say that, presuming they are redials, they are of a high quality. The critical point is whether there is black paint on the sides of the applied indices. If not, they are unlikely to be redials. If so, they are definitely redials. It's just that, judging by your first photos, it looked to me as if there was paint on the indices.....

Hartmut Richter

I think that the indixes are embossed and not applied.
    If the indexes were applied, they would have been removed before printing and could not have any paint on the sides IMO.

Thread Information