Need help in verifying a Vintage Omega that's being sold.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By radger

Thread: Need help in verifying a Vintage Omega that's being sold.

Need help in verifying a Vintage Omega that's being sold.

Hi, I saw this on the bay and wonders if its a catch. And if the price is right. Thank you replies will be appreciated.

The link is here: Vintage Omega Seamaster Automatic Calendar 14k Gold Steel Swiss | eBay

-Have a good day

Re: Need help in verifying a Vintage Omega that's being sold.

That appears to be a "real" Omega, though the vintage database has the 14770 case reference as a solid 18k case, while this case is a stainless steel case with solid gold bezel/lugs (or top). It is possible that the Omega vintage database was never updated to include a 14770 reference with the "61 SC" (the database is notably incomplete) and only has the lising for the 18k gold version of the case.

The first thing I notice about the watch is that there are no painted minute markers on the dial, and the word "automatic" is in lower case (I've only ever seen it in all-caps before). It is always possible that Omega produced dials with automatic in lower case, but I'll leave that up to an Omega expert. The seller mentions that the dial has been refinished, so all I am pointing out here is that it wasn't a perfect restoration (though it does look nice enough to be a daily wearer). The crown appears to be period-correct for this model watch.

The thing that would convince me to stay away from this Omega, though, is that the pallet fork is missing one of its jewels. If you go to the next to last picture and zoom in on the hairspring/escapement, you will see that the jewel on the right side of the pallet fork isn't there. The seller says the watch is in running order, so maybe the picture was taken before service was performed on the watch, but I would more than likely just move on, myself. While replacing the jewel is probably an easy task for a watchmaker to do, if the jewel fell out while the watch was running, I believe it would cause the whole gear train to spin freely whenever the balance swung in that one direction. A loose jewel might have caused some damage tumbling around while the gears spun unchecked.

I don't know what caused me to zoom in there... I'm no watchmaker (though I'm collecting the tools of the trade for some dabbling in the future), so I normally don't see stuff like this. If you have your heart set on it, I would check with the seller first about that jewel.
    Last edited by M.Stanton; December 7th, 2013 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Stanton View Post

The thing that would convince me to stay away from this Omega, though, is that the pallet fork is missing one of its jewels. If you go to the next to last picture and zoom in on the hairspring/escapement, you will see that the jewel on the right side of the pallet fork isn't there. The seller says the watch is in running order, so maybe the picture was taken before service was performed on the watch, but I would more than likely just move on, myself. While replacing the jewel is probably an easy task for a watchmaker to do, if the jewel fell out while the watch was running, I believe it would cause the whole gear train to spin freely whenever the balance swung in that one direction. A loose jewel might have caused some damage tumbling around while the gears spun unchecked.

I don't know what caused me to zoom in there... I'm no watchmaker (though I'm collecting the tools of the trade for some dabbling in the future), so I normally don't see stuff like this. If you have your heart set on it, I would check with the seller first about that jewel.
    Well noticed, that is good practice to examine the detail looking for anything amiss, you have a watchmakers eye.
    However, the jewel is there, a trick of the light making the jewel look almost invisible maybe.

I can tell this because the watch is obviously running in the pic and the escape wheel is locked by the almost invisible jewel.

Looking at the pic again I can see the 'shadow' of the balance arm, caught in blurred motion, directly above the 'invisible' jewel,
    possibly causing this optical illusion.
    M.Stanton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Well noticed, that is good practice to examine the detail looking for anything amiss, you have a watchmakers eye.
    However, the jewel is there, a trick of the light making the jewel look almost invisible maybe.

I can tell this because the watch is obviously running in the pic and the escape wheel is locked by the almost invisible jewel.

Looking at the pic again I can see the 'shadow' of the balance arm, caught in blurred motion, directly above the 'invisible' jewel,
    possibly causing this optical illusion.
    Ahh, you're totally right!

Yeah, it does look like the blurred ballance wheel arm is just exactly overtop of that jewel, and it changes the hue enough that the jewel (and the pallet fork arm itself to a smaller degree) appears to take on the color of the balance (which is the same copper/gold color as the metal that I perceived to be below the "missing" jewel). I never stopped to think about whether the movement was running in the picture... if it had been, and the jewel was missing, it would be slipping in between beats, which would unwind the mainspring very quickly (and likely damage the pin on the balance wheel that controls the position of the pallet fork or the other jewel). I didn't notice the missing balance screws, which normally would let you know that the movement is running.

So, anyway... other than a repainted dial that isn't completely true to the original (but at least isn't painted some strange color or black), a decent distribution of little knicks and scratches that you would expect with normal use, and the lack of a proper record in the Omega Vintage database, it appears to me to be an original Omega. Keep in mind, however, that I am no Omega expert... I'm just a 4-month-old WUS newbie who spends a lot of time focusing on the Omega threads (like this one) trying to learn what I can about them (yeah, I probably picked the wrong brand to focus on as a newb).

You might want to wait for an experienced collector (who can comment on the condition of the movement) or an Omega expert (who can better verify authenticity) to show up to give you more solid advice.
    Last edited by M.Stanton; December 8th, 2013 at 09:57.

I have exactely the same watch ! Except for the automatic (mine is in upper case, not lower case), they're the same, same movement, same hands, same dial, same crown...

I would pass because of the dial. The messed up "automatic" ruins it for me. Find one that has an original dial. The poor letting makes it look like a fake even if it isn't.

Thread Information