Need help with a vintage Georges Favre-Jacot pocket watch

Thread: Need help with a vintage Georges Favre-Jacot pocket watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need help with a vintage Georges Favre-Jacot pocket watch

I recently found this Georges Favre-Jacot made for the russian market.
    Now I hope to find some more information here...

Does anybody know something about this timepiece... year, movement, etc.?
    Thanks in advance
    Phil

Re: Need help with a vintage Georges Favre-Jacot pocket watch

I know this may not be helpful but its interesting to note the rubies set as decoration to run up the jewel count.

It seems to say 1938... I'll ask my watchmaker next time I see him to get him to translate for us!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's a couple of links that provide a thumbnail history and indicate Georges started the Zenith brand too. He was out of the business by 1920 or so. A Google search returns numerous hits so my impression is they were a prolific maker of nice looking well made watches. They appear to have continued the 1880's style with their later watches and as a consequency they appear at first glance to be older than they really are. Decorative jewels on an otherwise moderately jeweled movement indicate pretensions to a higher grade of watch.

The Watch Quote: Zenith History

Georges Favre-Jacot (LOCLE) - National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Message Board

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Here's a couple of links that provide a thumbnail history and indicate Georges started the Zenith brand too. He was out of the business by 1920 or so. A Google search returns numerous hits so my impression is they were a prolific maker of nice looking well made watches. They appear to have continued the 1880's style with their later watches and as a consequency they appear at first glance to be older than they really are. Decorative jewels on an otherwise moderately jeweled movement indicate pretensions to a higher grade of watch.
    George Favre-Jacot left the business in 1911, at which time the company Zenith was given its new, present name and also turned into an SA (Society Anonyme). The watch is from ca. 1910. There is an almost identical watch in Rössler's book on Zenith where it is stated that the extra rubies serve as spares in case a watchmaker working on the watch should need them.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    George Favre-Jacot left the business in 1911, at which time the company Zenith was given its new, present name and also turned into an SA (Society Anonyme). The watch is from ca. 1910. There is an almost identical watch in Rössler's book on Zenith where it is stated that the extra rubies serve as spares in case a watchmaker working on the watch should need them.

Hartmut Richter
    Ah, the inscription must have been done later then as the CCCP did not exist in 1910.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Ah, the inscription must have been done later then as the CCCP did not exist in 1910.
    Quite correct. Note that the inscription on the inner cover is somewhat "lopsided" - it doesn't line up with the maker's inscription or the case serial number. I suspect that the watch was inscribed in 1938 when given to someone for service in the company or passed down a generation as a special present or some similar event.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for helping me here

A helpful guy in the russian forum made this translation:
    On the inner dust cover: On the upper line : High Quality , medals, G. F. JAcot, Locle, 23 jewels, Precision, Ancre Lever Visible. On the inside of the outer cover: To Tavarish (comrade) Chiskidov from the Ministry of Defense (in the text it was written literally :People's Commissariat for the Defense), USSR, 1938

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    There is an almost identical watch in Rössler's book on Zenith where it is stated that the extra rubies serve as spares in case a watchmaker working on the watch should need them. Hartmut Richter
    Certainly a valid explanation except they shouldn't be included in the jewel count. I wonder if that story is from factory sources or wishful thinking by the author?
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tick Talk View Post
    Certainly a valid explanation except they shouldn't be included in the jewel count.
    True, but I don't think they are. I can't see whether the centre wheel is jewelled but if it is, then that would be 17 jewels, plus (presumably) 6 capping jewels on the geartrain (if the dial side is capped as well), making 23. If they are included, the centre wheel would have to lack jewels, the dial side capping stones would be missing and the five extra ones jack the count up to 23. There is no other sensible way I can arrive at that jewel count.

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast