Need help with vintage Longines watch please!

Thread: Need help with vintage Longines watch please!

Need help with vintage Longines watch please!

Hi, this is my first post here. I've inherited this gold Longines from my grandpa mid 80's. He's worn it daily for as long as I can remember. I've been trying to identify its year of manufacture. Tried google-ing around, including browsing www.vintagewatchresources.com with no luck. Can anyone please help me out? It's hand wound, the dial only has the Longines logo plus the inscription "-T SWISS MADE T-" at 6 o'clock. No engraving on the back case.

It's in working condition but it naturally has some scratches, plus the hour markers and hands lost their shine. I'd like to have it professionally cleaned up, and the hands re-plated if possible. How much overhaul would you recommend I do on it and do you know a reputable repairman you'd recommend please? I live in the San Francisco area in California.

Thank you much!

Attachment 923486
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by guto; January 3rd, 2013 at 19:07.

Re: Need help with vintage Longines watch please!

The dial overall looks pristine, congrats on the heirloom. As for the identification, Longines is one of the best watch companies which can go pretty back in their archives and numbering marks. If you or the watchmaker opens the case back, on the movement is expected a 7 digit number, that would identify the approximate year.

Re: Need help with vintage Longines watch please!

Welcome to the Forum. This looks like a late 1960 to early 1970 model, but the serial number would help to determine the actual age. I will send you a PM with the watchmaker information in San Francisco.

Thread Information