Need help with vintage Longines-Weems ID
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need help with vintage Longines-Weems ID

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with vintage Longines-Weems Hour Angle ID

Hi,

I bought this over the weekend and need help with a date and any other information I can get, I wrote to Longines with the S/N on friday but have no reply yet.

I have never seen a small Longines Hour Angle watch before (31.5mm bezel), it has a 12.68Z centre second movement S/N 5749951.
    (The 2:00 crown rotates the outer part of the face).

This is the only photo I have, until it arrives from England.

I have looked at dozens of Longines photos and as far as I can see, Longines only started putting the 'winged hourglass' on the faces of watches in the early 1950s, maybe the face has been restored and had the logo applied then?
    (It looks like a very nice original face though!).

Was it some special made in the 1950s or was it a short run in the late 1930s/early 1940s with 12.58Z just before the 12.68N went into production?

I don't know the history of the 12.68 type movements, so I'm just guessing!

Anyway, I guess I will have to wait until it arrives so I can post more photos, hear from Longines and from Longines collectors.

cheers,

-John
    Last edited by Flightpath; February 26th, 2008 at 15:29. Reason: Update information
    9sse likes this.

Re: Need help with vintage Longines-Weems ID

According to my list of serial numbers this watch was made in 1937. The winged hourglass has been around since 1890, so it could have been used in 1937 I suppose.
    The European experts will likely be able to tell you more.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks very much Ray!!!

I think I might have discovered a little gem!

I sent an email to the seller with a photo of a 12.68Z CS movement, he said it was simular but the CS bridge was different.

(I know that the Longines Logo is pre-1900 but I still have not seen it on pre-1950 faces, unless this is some kind of 1937 special edition).

What do you think about the hands? do they look original to the watch, the minute hand look quite long but is this something to do with the hour angle bezel?

cheers,

-John
    Last edited by Flightpath; February 26th, 2008 at 16:33.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My area of expertise is American pocket watches prior to 1920, so I'll leave further comments to those more knowledgeable about Longines. Sorry.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
    Thanks very much Ray!!!

I think I might have discovered a little gem!

I sent an email to the seller with a photo of a 12.68Z CS movement, he said it was simular but the CS bridge was different.

(I know that the Longines Logo is pre-1900 but I still have not seen it on pre-1950 faces, unless this is some kind of 1937 special edition).

What do you think about the hands? do they look original to the watch, the minute hand look quite long but is this something to do with the hour angle bezel?

The winged hourglass has been in constant use. It's absence is sometimes an indicator of a 'restored' dial.

The hands look like they are from that period... but there are Weems collectors who can definitive answers. Maybe one will drop by...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks Eeeb,

(I love your quote about useless information, I'll have to show my wfe!)

-John

Hi John, i think your Weems had wrong hands and dial.
    Here's a picture of the same watch with GF case, all original, it belongs to a friend of mine.
    When you'll receive yours, take a shot of movement and SN, we can compare they both.

Ciao, Aldo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Aldo,

the seller told me that "the crown at 2:00 turns the inner chapter ring" (I took that to mean the ring with the seconds marked on the outer part of the dial).

This watch might just be a more modern version of the type that your friend owns, the dial on his is a minature version of the earlier Lindberg watch with the seconds marked on the inner part of the face..........

I have written an email to the seller and asked him to confirm what he told me about the face previously, (if the face is just a normal one piece then it's not correct (and it does look like a normal one piece face)........ It also shound have more markings to do with the hour angle system.

-John
    Last edited by Flightpath; February 26th, 2008 at 23:07.

Hi John, interesting matter.
    Anyway, this type of rotating bezel with enamelled numerals had to be dated around 1930-1940.
    This 12.68 movement had to be with the small CS bridge.
    Faked hands and redial 100%. IMHO.

About the crown at 2 hours, i have not found any similar so far, apart the usual for locking the bezel.
    But obviously there are a lot of watches still to be discovered like little gems.
    So waiting for further pictures could be the right thing.

Cheers, Aldo.

Hi,

I'm sure now that it is a very rare small Longines-Weems Hour Angle watch with a fairly scarce 12.68Z movement as per your friend's watch (with the mechanism for rotateing the centre chapter).
    BUT it has a one piece face instead of a two piece face, the centre chapter should be separate of course and the outer fixed part of the face is not there either.

I have talked with the seller and he's (very nicely) agreed to take it back, he did advise me not to buy it but only mentioned that it had a different movement than the normal 12.68 types he had seen.
    (I'll send more photos ASAP (maybe ther's a NOS set of dials and hands at Longines waiting for me?!)

cheers,

-John
    Last edited by Flightpath; February 27th, 2008 at 09:18.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information