Need help with vintage watches.
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Need help with vintage watches.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    45

    Question Need help with vintage watches.

    hello! I am new in the watch world, even tho i spend a whole lot of time online looking at them.
    I once bought a used watch 2 years ago on ebay and well it went well for like 2 weeks... it was a cheap watch so sending it back to get repaired was actually more expensive than just loosing the money, so yeah i got ripped off but i learned my lesson and that's why i am here today in this forum hoping to get help from more experienced people.
    i really like vintage watches, and they fit well my small wrist. So after being done with ebay today i spent hours looking on sites from my country for vintage watches and i came across some i really like and the best part is i can just go and pick them up and even try them in person, but before i do that i was hoping you guys can tell me if they are worth my time and money, if the money the sellers are asking for them is fair and also give me tips on how to inspect them before making a purchase.

    i'm gonna post the links to the site so you can see all the pics available. i'll star with these two who are from the same seller and have really nice pics:
    https://www.custojusto.pt/porto/cole...ines--26759205
    https://www.custojusto.pt/porto/cole...nith--26235242

    And now the last one is from another guy, this one is in very bad shape, and there is only one pic (but i'm asking the guy for more) but I've seen this in good shape and they look amazing. he wants the buyers to make him offers so if you could tell me how much you think its worth in this destroyed state i would greatly appreciate it as i have no idea at all... and how much would it be to repair the face? (i dont really care if its scratched outside)
    https://www.custojusto.pt/lisboa/mal...tling-26715104

    thanks in advance,
    Eduardo

    PS: according to the seller all 3 watches are working mechanically.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    Sorry I did not read a thing, just looked at the links. All the examples are extremely damaged, better examples can be found
    busmatt and georges zaslavsky like this.
    Chaos is my focus

  3. #3
    Member georges zaslavsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Croissy sur Seine, France
    Posts
    12,331

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Sorry I did not read a thing, just looked at the links. All the examples are extremely damaged, better examples can be found
    Indeed
    busmatt likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Dan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,763

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    I suspect the Breitling is a fake, but I would like to see more photos from different angles. Obviously the dial is very rough. I really don't like the condition of the Longines or Zenith either. Something is funny about the Longines, because the case appears to be stainless steel, but the back says "stainless steel back", which would normally be used on a plated case.
    busmatt likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

  6. #5
    Member Rocket1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,489

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    Not sure, not your area of knowledge, don't feel comfortable because of lack of knowledge
    one of them all of above don't buy it!
    don't buy them cheap, don't buy them expensive don't buy them.
    photos murky , small resolution and generally low quality don't buy it.
    In today's age of great smartphone cameras you can expect very good pictures. From professional seller you should expect unless they have something to hide.
    There is very long list of not to with bottom line do not buy it.
    To fix watch may cost you way more than you can even imagine and it totally not worth it.
    busmatt likes this.
    It should be special!

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    45

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Sorry I did not read a thing, just looked at the links. All the examples are extremely damaged, better examples can be found
    thanks for the reply first of all, may i ask where i can get this better examples?

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    45

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    thanks for the reply, but in the pics you can see the movements and all the numbers, is there any place where you can go and search this numbers? maybe they can tell us weather or not its a genuine piece?

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    45

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Not sure, not your area of knowledge, don't feel comfortable because of lack of knowledge
    one of them all of above don't buy it!
    don't buy them cheap, don't buy them expensive don't buy them.
    photos murky , small resolution and generally low quality don't buy it.
    In today's age of great smartphone cameras you can expect very good pictures. From professional seller you should expect unless they have something to hide.
    There is very long list of not to with bottom line do not buy it.
    To fix watch may cost you way more than you can even imagine and it totally not worth it.
    yeah i dont have the knowledge, but i kinda want a watch. i was actually saving for a sinn 104, but they are big, i cant try them here as i never seen one for sale and i am still far from the money i need, student life i guess

    ps:thanks for the reply

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    45

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I suspect the Breitling is a fake, but I would like to see more photos from different angles. Obviously the dial is very rough. I really don't like the condition of the Longines or Zenith either. Something is funny about the Longines, because the case appears to be stainless steel, but the back says "stainless steel back", which would normally be used on a plated case.
    also about the Breitling, it has been sold, just talked to the lady, she hasn't delivered it yet, but still the chances of getting more pics are getting low. maybe the deal doesn't go though and in that case you shall be the first to get the pics

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142

    Re: Need help with vintage watches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo_The_Spartan View Post
    thanks for the reply first of all, may i ask where i can get this better examples?
    Everywhere where vintage watches are sold :)
    Chaos is my focus

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •