Need ID help

Thread: Need ID help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Need ID help

Hello,

this pocket watch was recently given to me by my father who said it belonged to his father.

Research on my own hasn't yielded much of anything to be honest. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

-CG

Re: Need ID help

Hi and welcome.

All I can tell you is that Montfort was a brand registered to Plangg and Pfluger - apparently an Austria company. See Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr!

A movement shot would, possibly, be useful. I note that it doesn't say Swiss on the dial and I would guess that the movement was probably German. With 17 jewels its likely to be relatively modern (for a pocket watch). Others may know more.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks Marrick for the quick reply. I'll try and get a movement shot.. but i'm not even quite sure how to get the case back off.. I assume twists off. Hopefully that will reveal more information.

Thanks again!

-CG

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is, in the stickies (posts at the top of the forum), an article on how to open pocket watch cases... the stickies make interesting reading.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Since the watch has Incabloc shockproofing, it is likely to be post WWII. At least it has a subsecond hand fairly distant from the centre, showing that the movement inside can't be all that small (sometimes, cheapo PWs were made around or a little after that time with a tiny ladies movement inside, powering a large watch..... ).

Hartmut Richter

Thanks Eeeb, I got the help i needed regarding opening up the back. Here are some shots:

It's definitely a Swiss Made.. but I can't tell what any of the stampings mean or what the movement is...

Hope this helps!

-CG

It looks like a fairly modern movement...perhaps 1950s? That's a shot in the dark on my part, though.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    It looks like a fairly modern movement...perhaps 1950s? That's a shot in the dark on my part, though.
    The inca-block would usually indicate post 50s, probably more recent - as they were only really needed in wrist watches.

Hmm interesting... I guess if it's the 60's that still a 50 year old watch.. i always assumed it was much older due to the fact that the face looks like heck. :-P

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

looks Late 50s early 60s at that. Nice watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information