Need to ID this trench watch movement. DF&C
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need to ID this trench watch movement. DF&C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to ID this trench watch movement. DF&C

Hi guys,I need to ID this movement to find a balance staff. The only inscription found is DF&C. I found a thread about Dimier frčre & company but the caliber discussed in the thread is not the same one I have. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pilotswatch; June 4th, 2015 at 12:38.
    pilotswatch

Re: Need to ID this trench watch movement. DF&C

Well, it has an FHF patent number on it; that's pretty conclusive. Espacenet - Original document
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I can't help with the calibre number, but the plate over the setting works is very much FHF in design which is of course no surprise given Robs note on the patent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. Its unfortunate,the watch works fine and keeps time with the face up,but as soon as you turn it over,it stops.
    Would polishing the balance staff help?
    Last edited by pilotswatch; June 4th, 2015 at 12:37.
    pilotswatch

Take the balance off and have a look at the ends of the balance staff; is one shorter then the other? You need to know what's causing it to stop before you can tell how to fix it. In general, polishing is done to improve amplitude. On a balance staff, the "sides" of the staff only really come into play in the upright positions (crown up/right/left/down), not the dial up/down position. IN the dial positions, the balance should be resting on the tip of the staff (spinning sorta like a top) and only lightly touching the sides of the pivot. Unless, of course, there's so much crud built up in the jewels that the cap jewel is coated. On a watch this old, you pretty much have to completely disassemble it and give it a good cleaning before you can really troubleshoot anything; the buildup of dust/oil/sweat/heavenly mana is too pervasive to do much. While it's apart, check all the parts under magnification. A not-uncommon issue with these smaller movements is that the balance will take just enough of a shock to cause the tip of the staff to deform slightly.
    Paleotime likes this.

Thanks for your recommendations AbslomRob. I'll have a expert look at it. Who would you recommend in the provence of Quebec or Ontario? My watch repairman is so busy and he's thinking of semi retirement, at least for the summer.
    pilotswatch

If you're near stittsville, I could give it a quick once-over for you; I'm no expert, but I'm good enough to take them apart and put them back together in at least slightly better shape then when they started...
    Apollonaught likes this.

Thanks you for your generous offer.
    Just sent you a PM.
    pilotswatch

Quote Originally Posted by pilotswatch View Post
    My watch repairman is so busy and he's thinking of semi retirement, .
    The bane of every vintage watch fanatics existence. The curse. An entire breed of horological masters aging themselves out of the biz. I don't even want to think about how old my guy is. All I know is he worked for Tourneau for many years as their go-to authorized rolex man for their infamous pre-owned rolex department. And he still does incredible work for obscenely reasonable rates. If he can't get the part-he fabricates. He's also a master Seiko chronograph technician along with being all around nice guy. I pray- sometimes selfishly. - for his enduring health and continued good eyesight.

-not intending to hijack this thread so I am just warning -don't proceed if you want something directly related to the above trench watch post. I don't know why I picked this thread-it was the last I posted on and there is actually a small thread that connects the two (the decline in the availability of great watchmakers due to advancing age)
    But this is really more like a journal entry/ essay with some protection for the innocent. Am I verbose? Yes. Is it beer? Don't think so Not for the very very serious either. My mother always said I could talk the ears off a mule. And to the OP-i wish you best of luck with that sticky balance staff.

OT___below____warning___OT ____story time-_____ only some references to vintage watches.______read at your own risk (or pleasure)___enjoyment can not be guaranteed. Continuing to read may not bring vintage horological pleasure.. Having an off-the-wall evening. Family is gone for 3 days and I'm "chillaxing ' as the kids say. Does one beer and a shot of single malt interact very much with the pain pill I had to take earlier for an ear issue. I can say-it no longer hurts one bit

For anyone who does read I'll post a shot of 2 vintage and at least 1 watch I never posted before-ever. And so nobody thinks I'm completely insane-I wrote this here with intention of copy/paste to a more appropriate venue but decided on a whim to leave it here. If a moderator is concerned-just pm me

I imagine there are some passionate hipsters that have fallen for the 'artisianal' craft of watchmaking. And hey-g-d bless 'em. If these younguns' need to make watchmaking 'artisanal' to get excited about it- then great by me. Hopefully some skilled ones will be around when I'm kicking the bucket and trying to repair and sell off as many heirlooms as I can because I know for damn sure the girls won't have listened to a damn thing about all I told them and would probably end up dumping them in a drawer as "dad's old watches'. All those watch pep-talks -wasted. I'm lucky that they each have maybe 1 or 2 vintage watches I gave them that they occasionally use-as in 'bothering to actually set the time' because "I have an iPhone for time.The watch is just cool, dad". And after I'm gone like: "hey- I know about this rolex but what is this yucky old Blancpain thing.?"

This daughter is a definite bonifide hardcore NYC 'hipster' and no way I can tease- even a tiny bit- without getting 'the look'. I call her "The Princess of Darkness". All black, Tats and old bikes which unfortunately includes the long hairy bearded guys attached to their tiny hard leather vintage seats. Oiy! She says they "look like Greg Allman dad." She took up all of my darkest and over with passions. Ok. Maybe I still do pine for my bonnevilles , Commando, and '75 Laverda. {omg!- that sexy Italian beast that broke my heart and wallet... And somewhere-I still have a '67 CL77 scrambler but its hardly a Norton. And those leathers... original vintage HD -marlon brando style-from '51 w red plaid wool lining. I used to be a bit of a...well, a biker guy. but with a vintage esthetic. I would never buy a Harley because all the other guys would ride nothing else. It sometimes killed me because I really did like Lee Marvin on the ONLY HD in the movie over MB's Triumph. But Triumph, BSA, BMW, Norton etc is what I rode. And I can admit now-it was definitely the attention and exotica that i sought. (this was back when these vintage weren't cheap but they weren't like the 5-figure show pieces they are now. In fact -I bought the 850 Commando for $400 from a crazy 65 yr. old ex-warlock . who had it bored out to 950 and a magneto installed which made it the absolute #1 most insanely fast and deadly bike I owned. The magneto advanced the spark SO much that the kick-starter flew with enough force to break through the thick gearbox cover shattering it and ending the pretty good chance I was going to die on a curve at 75mph.
    I bought the rather rare '75 Laverda (for the USA) 750 for only $600. If id have only kept just that one. I paid the most for the '73 BMW and that -I used to say, "drives like a Volvo". It wasn't that fast but could cruise like a blade at 85mph for hours w/o breathing. So-I maybe I wasn't totally crazy and vintage watches make sense in hind sight.

My other daughter I can almost guarantee she will fall in love with one old Timex-out of the 50+ watches I have now and who knows how many by then-yes-the Timex. And not because she actually knows the big difference between the Timex and the Rolex. If she did she wouldn't care all that much. They both end in 'x', right? She's an animal person. As in 'animals first-then people' How she got to be so sweet and kind I'll never no but I let her take her less attractive side out on me as I have a very thick skin. She did surprise me once when she remembered that the (gorgeous) copper dialed 40s Croton auto bumper I gave her had a "hammer" in it. I should be satisfied with that. I'll probaby never see it again but at least I know she knows whats inside.

And these kids now anyway-just like we did--think they're the first ones to discover everything! But there may be hope in that after they hit their late 20s and then 30s they might just start to re-remember the lectures on:Art, Antiques, history, music, the ME and of course watches. They do know I'm obsessed and it has to make some kind of impression. But as far as the 'dark princess' is concerned for tight now-the is just one word: VINYL!!! And that really was the last straw! After decades of hauling tons (literally) of vinyl 'n milk crates from shop to house back to shop-I finally sold 99.9%. (Bootleg Hendrix, 1st Ray Charles LP, rare Johnny Cash, and 2 supa-rare Muddy Waters w Litl' Walter (I like the cover pics more then the music!) is all I kept...and oh how she pesters and hounds me about "How could you sell your vinyl?!?." How could you sell your Kenwood tube amp, Your mcintosh turntable. I knew these were decent but they were given to me by my cousin who was shipping out. He didn't make a big deal in '73 about their 'artisanal; quality. I won't admit this to her but just based on value-I do kind of regret selling these years back-but what I didn't know then-I didn't know. And for the record: I get why the kids love the scratchy-ass vinyl sounding esthetic but i'm totally satisfied with a tiny iPod with 1000s of songs & digital remastering-including the 'fake' scratchy sound which has got to be the peak of irony

As a last note and bit of a confession: Thinking about my biker days vs. now. Its ironic how I condescend to wealthy suburban lawyer/banker types who buy 30k-50k clownish looking Harley's and dress in full leathers and roar around the chi-chi suburban or urban hot spots. "How unauthentic", I pffft. Phone bad-asses. But what was I doing in the 70s getting a fine education along with clandestine 2am tattoos and riding with some sweet(some not so) but somewhat crude and unsavory and funny dudes (not all of them-In fact-the one that guys joked was the "dumbest" is now a millionaire real estate/restauranteur in Philly. A super sweet guy who really got the last laugh on his 'bros' . And darn if he doesn't look a bit like Greg Allman. J.Chr!st!

My only sz 18 pw:

An old rollie I rarely wear any longer:

The only 'russian' pw with lugs I ever bought and completely assumed the dial was re-done while the movement was a genuine Moscow State watch factory movement from 1941. But then I thought about selling it and a member here first told me he was a 'russian' collector and was "sure" that the dial was probably "authentic" and at the very least was an early re-dial of an actual existing dial (even though it looks a lot like all the other fanciful and imaginative Ukrainian
    specials' that were sold back in the late 00s. This was a submariners watch and I still don't believe it was original and not sure it was even an 'older' re-dial but he made me a fantastical offer-way way more then I paid and I asked him enough times where he almost got insulted-so I sold it. I kind of miss the big hulk just for its funny dial but wearing it was not my thing so-better off with him. I think he was wrong and its a new dial but I don't think I ever posted this watch on WUS:

and last but not least...my CL77 honda scrambler which is somewhere in storage at brother in law or maybe sister? have to inquire:
    Last edited by DaBaeker; June 5th, 2015 at 05:48.
    Charon likes this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Dabaeker, thank you for hi-jacking the thread. I read your post at around 3 o'clock this morning after a night wiwi. I laughed out loud and woke my wife. Your welcome to do it again. Watches and bikes, what a great combination. Just last week, I was contemplating the purchase of a Triumph Tiger. I decided, I should fix what I already have...watches. The Rolex is a first for me,never seen one before. As for the Russian, as you, I have doubts. Who knows. Cheers
    DaBaeker likes this.
    pilotswatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information